ETR6/10n test flash issue

Trkn8r

I have 2006 era navnet1 gear. All working well (radar, navpilot511, 12” plotter, etc) EXCEPT I’m no longer getting depth or STW. I’ve run through the system menu and test for sounder, it basically flashes very quickly and provides no info. I think this means the system is not communicating with the sounder (vs a transducer issue).

What would you do to track down the problem / how would you go about it?

Should I look beyond the ETR6/10? Maybe fuses?? Full disclosure I can’t find the dang sounder, so will have to try following the wires from the transducer during dalylight.

I’m second owner of the boat - thanks for helping a newbie out.

Hello Trk8nr,

First thing I would do is test the sounder module (ETR6/10N) through the NavNet 1 display. When you have power turned on, select menu, system configuration, system setup, test and clear, memory I/O test, network sounder test. If the screen pops-up, then goes away then the display is not communicating with the ETR6/10N module via network. If it does come up with a screen with software program versions, then the display is talking to the sounder module and maybe the transducer might be at fault.

The transducer will be connected to the ETR6/10N module, if you can trace down the transducer and follow the cable into the box, make sure that it has good power and the led on the box is flashing every 1 second. If the led light is on and not flashing, it’s not communicating to the NavNet1 display via network. Check if it’s a direct connection or if there’s a hub in between.

YachtyBoy

Thank you, this is very helpful. The test at display definitely pops-up then goes away very quickly. Other tests in that menu progress through and show as ok.

I'll track that wire down and the Sounder. Sounds like it may be a wire, the unit itself (will confirm with LED light indication, etc.) and/or an upstream hub.

I originally assumed it was transducer, but the more I dig it seems like it's something else. I'll update what I find.

Again, really appreciate the guidance here. Stay tuned!

You're welcome. I'm glad to help and hopefully you can narrow down a very simple fix or solution to resolve this issue. If there's a hub, try another port on the hub and see if that helps.

YachtyBoy

On the hub question...What I don't know is if it was typical to have a hub for my setup (navpilot 511, 1843 radar, display, etc.). Wonder if that was a requirement to set up the system or just an option for future expansion.

As much as I want to buy that new TZTouch3...I also hope it's a simple fix.

You might not have a hub in between and it could be a direct connect from the ETR6/10N to the back of the display. If you have more than two network devices (so far you have 1 display and 1 network sounder) and nothing else on the network than it would be just 1 network cable connected directly to each other.

TZT3 displays are amazing, I like the NavNet 1 and VX2 series but the newer units are a game changer and offers a lot more compatibility and new features.

YachtyBoy

Update: I’ve found the sounder in the cabin and behind a cabinet and will spend time on it today.

The LED was lit so assume that means power source is ok. Unless of course that LED can be powered by the processor unit (RPU-014). I did not power on the other components yet and will do today to see if the LED flashes or stays solid.

If the LED is solid green (not flashing) and I confirm the units are not communicating, is there a simple means of testing the blue network cable? In other words, how do I determine if it’s a bad sounder or bad cable?

(Selfishly, I kinda hope it’s the sounder because Will be easier to replace vs running a new cable on my boat, and seems there are a lot of used Sounders on eBay.)

So...you’ll get a kick out of this.

I found the issue. There was a non-furuno hub between the sounder (a $7 Ethernet switch you can get at amazon) between the sounder and the Navnet. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture.

The power cord for the Ethernet switch was dislodged, which cut the communication.

Not sure why the Ethernet switch was even there in the first place, perhaps the previous owner/installer thought the system would be expanded sometime in the future.

I plugged it in and it all worked fine.

Any reason I need that Ethernet switch? Its coming out altogether and I’m connecting the cable directly to the sounder. It’s working with or without that switch/ hub so guessing I just don’t need it.

Many will use a switch to ensure the cabling is correct otherwise you would need to ensure you have crossover cable and not a straight if going directly from the sounder to the MFD. Newer Switches have auto sensing ports so that it doesn't matter if straight or cross wired, it will make it work automatically.

Hi Johnny, the sounder seems to work ok. I’ll take the boat across Puget Sound in the next week, is there anything that would indicate that I should reconnect the switch? I can see the model number on the wires if that helps. Also, prior owner mentioned he used (or tried to) the older maxsea software, so I’m assuming the switch provided ability to connect.

The switch is only to expand the network. If you don't need additional connections, then the switch is not needed. Glad to hear it is working well. :jump

Back