DRS6a loosening targets

giul59

I’m having an issue with my radar. After the radar has been running for 2 to 3 hours it starts to loose targets. I’ll be seeing AIS boats but no radar images at that point I’ll shutdown the whole network and restart the system and it will run perfectly for the next 12 hours. I have 12 volts at the PSU12 and 48 volts at the radar. My network consists of two TZT 14.1”, one 9”, DFF3 and DRS6a. My software is 5.01 on TZTs and DRS6a is at 1.18. I contacted tech support and they said it’s usually a voltage problem. I checked voltage and is good and if it was a voltage problem why restarting the system fixes it? The voltage is the same. Any thoughts? This has happened on the last two trips.
Thanks
Bruno

I suspect you have something near the radar and it is causing radar reflections and tuning down the radar over time. Do you have any photos of the radar mounting that shows the radar scanner and the surrounding items on the boat?

Here’s one I’ll get a better one tomorrow

Attachments

• 9ED9795F-8E27-4E47-9132-C1E8A691907B.jpeg
    9ED9795F-8E27-4E47-9132-C1E8A691907B.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,762
It might be good to get some better photos especially of this noted area. How close is the closest Antenna whip? That gearbox has some serious wedging done for something so far back on the hard top. It would expect a great deal of signal is driving into the boat and not out in front. The front light is LED? The photo wasn't great and sideways I really can't tell what that other object is.

Antenna Placement.JPG

I am not getting a clear understanding of what that object is on the port side which I previously circled in red. The one photo shows the starboard side which isn't concerning to me. The other is close and shows a too close up view from the starboard side that also doesn't show much of the port side. It might be nothing but your symptoms scream that the radar is tuning down due to some sort of nearby radar reflections.

Then I can't offer any other thoughts. I would suggest if the problem continues or gets worse to contact a dear to investigate or send in the RTR to the service center for evaluation. Hopefully it resolves for you.

Back