DRS4W Wifi Extender. Poor Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortessa

We have installed our new wifi radar but the position is not ideal on top of the aluminium flybridge roof. This is the only mounting location possible. Signal strength everywhere is poor. We did tests which were ok, but signal strength has greatly degraded since mounting dome on the new Scanstrut radar mount.

Could we connect / link a suitable outdoor/marine wifi extender to the DRS4W signal (like in our house)?

Or, can the internal antenna be extended outside of the radome and relocated below the metal roof?

Just looking for a workable solution as this wifi radar system suits our needs.

The DRS4W outputs a powerful 2.4gHz wireless signal, the wifi antenna is located towards the bottom of the sensor and if obstructed can degrade the signal. The manual specifies that some trial and error may be necessary to find a suitable location. Our recommendation would be, as the manual suggests, move it around the top with a client device connected to it first to determine best placement, before mounting it in it's forever home.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 444 -  - furunousa.com.png
    FireShot Capture 444 - - furunousa.com.png
    64 KB · Views: 276
  • FireShot Capture 445 -  - furunousa.com.png
    FireShot Capture 445 - - furunousa.com.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 276
Thank you. However your suggestion is not possible. Yes we did read all of the information on the installation and tested. The metal roof has strengthening underneath where the old 6’ array Furuno radar was removed. At the moment with the DRS4W half works. But it is not good enough. So I go back to my original questions as to whether an extender or repeater can be used or if the internal antenna can be repositioned outside of the Dome. Those are my specific questions. Is this possible please? Need a workaround please to get it working as it should.

You might have the radar checked to ensure the wifi antenna in the dome hasn't come disconnected from the PCB. No external antenna or extender is supported for this radar. It sounds like either something is wrong with the radar or you have a very shielded boat and the metal enclosure is a problem install for which, I we can't suggest a solution. I would suggest a wired radar for such a case. Maybe your dealer will let you trade up for something like the 1815.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back