DRS4W gimbal mount

MichaelBender

Hello everyone, I am glad to be a new member of this forum. I am new to radar and recently acquired a DRS4W. I am going to mount it on a pole at my transom on my 40' sailboat (Osprey, a Santa Cruz 40). I am considering a gimbal mount so that when I heel the radar is not pointing into the sea and into the air. I have been reading a lot of different posts and articles online and have had many discussions on social media but I have not found a clear indication of whether a gimbal mount is all the useful. Thanks for any advice.

Gimbal mounts and tilting radar mounts have been used for radars on sailboats for a very long time. Steve Dashew even showed off his on the Deerfoot in his classic title "The Circumnavigator's Handbook" (1983). It's great!

Compared with a pole mount, the gimbal allows for greater coverage since it can be kept on a level plane and compared to a mast mount it doesn't have a massive metal object and rigging directly to it's aft. A gimbal mount doesn't have to contend with sails or rigging up there so it makes for a excellent choice.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thank you this does help. Can you recommend any specific gimbal mounts? I am looking at a ScanStrut LMP-2 (but only because that's the first one I came access that I found people talking about and a great video from RAN Sailing).

No I don't have any preference, other than is it in stock or not? :cool

Do your research, pick a reputable company :sail

- Maggy

Back