DRS4NXT Installation Question

RCorbin

First I don't know what I'm doing so I may ask some really dumb questions. We got the DRS4NXT radar after spending months getting the correct FCC paperwork done to allow us to use it on a Storm Tracker Vehicle for our television station. We now have our FCC license for land mobile use. I think this radar is the perfect choice. I bought the self-leveling mount, ordered the cable but forgot to order a display, doing that now. I'm going to go with the FR-10. Is there anything else I've forgotten to order?

Sounds like a fun project. Definitely stay in touch!

You will need a position if you want to utilize some of the Doppler and heading for some tracking features. This can be input to the FR-10 via NMEA 0183HS or NMEA 2000. I don't know if that is something you already have onboard that operates on RS232 or RS422 to a PC? If you currently have that data, I'm sure we might find some way to translate it.

Yes this sounds like something we could use a position and heading sensor. I've attached a photo. No I haven't leveled it yet. I've been given somewhat of a blank check to work with. We have about 145 television stations and since I figured out the proper FCC paper work they want me to develop a system that works for all of our stations. I'll be calling the East Cost office as soon as I get out of a corporate meeting. (I hate meetings)

Attachments

• Img_4370.jpg
    Img_4370.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 14
Love the truck. Do you have to sector blank the aft area not to get reflections off the top and back of the truck? That is really cool.

Unfortunately adding the radar was an after thought so yes there will be reflected signals from the top and back. As to how much I won't be sure until we fire it up. I would think it will be minimal - at least when I get it leveled - because the beam should be above almost everything metal. I know you can still get adjacent reflected signals even below the beam elevation but I'm hoping it won't be much. I will be instructing them to point the truck in the direction they want to look at. They usually don't care about the weather behind them. On reason I chose Furuno is because of the durability of their units. Let's face it - weather people are rough on equipment especially something that is designed to intentionally drive into severe weather. At least I know the radar will hold up.

Back