DRS4DNXT 12v Power Input

MikeT

I was reading the installation manual section schematic that shows a DPST switch for the 12VDC power input to the Radar Sensor.
I was originally switching power to the Radar with a dedicated house battery switch, which cuts the positive 12v power to my house load... Is this method ok? Or is the DPST switch needed.

Thanks for the help!

Because boats can have floating power sometimes it would be best to break both the + and - wires power the radar. While only switching one of the wires would most likely work okay it might be an issue for some boats with floating grounds etc. A double pole switch would work best (safest).

Ok thank you. Now I need to find a dpst switch and find a place for it. My boat doesn't have any spare rocker switches. I would hate to use a toggle switch.

Power/Network cable question... If I connect the network cable to the directly to the MFD, the power wires are not long enough to get the DPST switch that was installed. Can the Radar cable be split to allow the network cable and power wires to be split in different directions. For Example:
Power cable to the DPST Switch and the Network cable to the MFD.

Unlike older DRS cables that were easy to split, you would normally just add your own wires stock for power and joint it to the power cable. The longer the cable the larger the gauge of wire must be. DC doesn't like to run long distances.

Back