DRS4D-NXT and SCX-20 Mounting Options

42Chris

I have been waiting patiently for the new Furuno 13 or 16XL. I am also trying to figure out the best way to mount the DRS4D-NXT and the SCX-20 on my Radar arch. I don’t have a lot of room on the arch. Would it be better to install it on a SeaView PMA-DM1-M2. So the SCX-20 would be behind and above the radar and the 25 Degree Radar beam. Or a Seaview 5-inch radar stand and mount the SCX-20 up close on the side of the radar but below the Radar and beam. Or is there a better option? The boat is also in a covered Berth, so I only have a couple feet above the Arch to work with including the anchor light. Once I get the best option I plan on ordering the SeaView Stand or something better along with DRS4D-NXT and SCX-20 so I can Install and be ready for the New XL.

Attachments

• 20220918_091915.jpg
    20220918_091915.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240714_161024.jpg
    20240714_161024.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yes, need to get items out of the radar beam for sure and not just the SCX20. As Johnny would say, it is X-band not X-ray and you won't see thru that horn. Those aft GPS sensors are likely going to fry in a couple of years from being the in beam, if not already dead.
1721052716779.png

Thanks Sparky Wire. On the starboard side is a GPS and Sirius Radio Antenna. Both of them will be removed when I get the new equipment. I have never used the hailer in my 23 years owning the boat. So would it be better to install the radar on a 5 inch stand have the SCX-20 below the beam on the starboard side see the blue box. Or should I install the bracket and mount the SCX-20 behind and above the Radar see blue box. Or Install SCX-20 on the Stand by or in the place of the Hailer speaker above the Radar Beam. I'm just not to sure about vibration if it on a pipe stand mount. I'm just trying to figure out the best location for the SCX-20. Is it better for the SCX-20 to be above or below the radar beam? I don't think I have many options. I would like to do this one time and don't want to fry the SCX-20 or another piece of equipment.

Just found this from Johnny Electron on another post. I agree that should be a fantastic mount. That would be out of the radar beam and look very sharp.

Johnny Electron

To mount the SCX-20 in place of the Flir Camera just hope it will look ok on the Radar Arch. Should I worry about it being too close to the Radar?

1721052716779.pngScreenshot 2023-02-10 111036.png

Attachments

• 1721052716779.png
    1721052716779.png
    357.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Mount with the Flir up and behind would be great as well as allowing the elevated radar to shoot over the top of the planned SCX20. It sounds like a good plan.

So I don't plan on getting a Flir. I was thinking about installing the SCX-20 in the Flir location See Picture below. Or install the radar on a 5 inch mount and install the SCX-20 on the side of the radar and below the Radar beam. both picture's would put the SCX-20 out of the radar beam.
The 5 inch stand would be nice if it is ok and move SCX-20 out far enough away from Radar unit and still keep it out of the beam.

Will it hurt for the SCX-20 to be that close to the radar unit?
Will the SCX-20 get better reception above the Radar or does it really matter?
Would it be better to install the SCX-20 on the pole mount 3ft away and above the radar beam if posable due to clearance in covered Berth?

Screenshot 2023-02-10 111036.pngaft-leaning-modular-mount-pma57m1--1.jpg

Last edited:
@42Chris either would work but the top plan would be better of the two.

@WALoeIII your example while working will not continue working long (maybe 3 years) due to it's placement among all those transmitting antennas. VHF by NMEA 0400 guidelines should be at minimum 3ft away. Those cell boosters are going to fry the front end amp of that SCX20 over time. That really should be moved down on the hardtop away from those items and below the radar beam. If not, you might want to budget a replacement SCX20 in about three years.

No photos of the whole boat but perhaps there is room above the bow atop some house/structure? It doesn't have to be at the very top.

Back