DRS25A-NXT Standby Mode

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
I noticed that there is a pretty loud hum coming from the pedestal of my new DRA25A-NXT radar even when it is in standby. From the sound of it, I assume it is probably an internal cooling fan. Because the pedestal is on the hardtop more or less directly above the main helm, it is quite audible. I am accustomed to the motor noise when the radar is transmitting of course and that is to be expected.

I can understand why a magnetron radar would need to be operating all the time in standby so there would not be a long delay when initiating transmission. But why would this be needed with a solid state radar that is "instant on"? I cannot find any reference in the manuals to a setting that would affect this. The only solution that comes to mind would be to put a switch in the radar's power supply. Now it is on the switch for the main electronics fuse block and has power whenever my MFDs and the rest of the electronics have power.

In all other respects, I am really happy with the DRS25A-NXT. It is fabulous in marking even tiny targets and resolving close targets. Importantly for me, it seems to be very good at showing birds at 4 miles or more. It painted a relatively low shoreline 28 miles away with no problem yesterday when I was out. That's about twice the range at which the same area would show up on the "Brand G" 25kW magnetron open array that the Furuno unit replaced.

You are exactly correct about the hum. It is the internal fan and NOT hearing it would indicate a problem. In regards to power off of the radar, if not needed; that is as you expect also. You could add a switch to the radar power supply if wanted. I am so happy to hear you are pleased with the performance. I have seen amazing pictures from those units and they king when it comes to radar. You would have to step up to a larger commercial radar with larger antenna stick to get close to this one. Your fellows will be jealous. Very nice choice.
Heck I am jealous.

I have the lower power DRS6A-NXT and it performs so well, that it is hard to imagine it can be bettered. The signal processing is just superb and it picks out targets from rain squalls, acquires and tracks targets better than anything I have seen.
So I'm as happy as you with it. But I also had an issue with the lack of true stand by. There is only a small change in power consumption when you switch from TX to STBY and the noisy fan keeps humming. Like you suggested It was solved by putting it on a separate breaker. As I still have the TZT2 display on for anchor watch and the like, it will report connection loss to the radar and keep the red error bar up. And somehow I feel it provokes the TZT2 to eventually re-boot within the next 24 hours. But this may also be unrelated to the radar.

Enjoy

Back