Displacement Boat New Steering & Autopilot needed?

Viexile

I have a Dyer 29, 8000# lobster style downeaster, stripped to bare hull and completely refit with reman Cummins and all the Furuno fishing electronics, including SCX 20, TZT3 12, DRS4DNXT, DFF3d and 165T 275LHW PM transducer (the latter installed centerline in keel).

I want to switch out the old rack and pinion steering to Seafirst ram and helm, helm canister behind bulkhead. Easy enough.

I want to add Navpilot 300, but can't figure out if I will need the octopus pump or not. Rudder is a good 15' hose run from the helm. Nothing is easy, but I need to know all systems end to end.

Any suggestions? My understanding is with SCX 20 I don't need the PG700 fluxgate. What's the purchase list?

You are correct, you don't need a fluxgate as the sat compass (SCX20) is much better and also provides GPS information. Before you lock in a pilot you need to ensure that it is appropriate to the steering system being put in. What is your total cubic inches of the steering ram? If you have more than one ram the values need to be added together to get the total volume that the pump will be pushing.

Single screw, single ram. I'm looking at a Seastar 150B-7C that looks to be 11.4 in. cubed, but that could change. I assume the NavPilot 300 will need an octopus pump to actuate?

Yes you would need a pump unless the steering system has an autopilot connection. You would be looking at a PUMPOCT10-12 unless you end up changing the cylinder size.

I've given the detail to my Marine supplier for appropriate helm & ram and will report back here asap. This should round out the Furuno suite so I can get fishing.

Back