Digital Flow Meter for Diesel

ajax

Furuno Fan
Howdy. I have a TZT3 and replacing all my electronic gauges this year (tach, temp, engine pressure, transmission pressure, voltage). No plans to digitize those for Furuno readout, because I don't want to dedicate an MFD to digital gauge readouts... HOWEVER, I would really love to get performance data to determine my best running speeds. I assume that if I purchase a flow meter for my diesel engine (which means feed and return sensors) that sends the digital signal to N2K that my Furuno TZT3 can use that along with time and speed to show me performance numbers. Am I correct here?

ajax":2xlnolf2 said:
... if I purchase a flow meter for my diesel engine (which means feed and return sensors) that sends the digital signal to N2K that my Furuno TZT3 can use that along with time and speed to show me performance numbers. Am I correct here?

The TZ3 can do it all. With a gateway, If you can get the engine output into a NMEA2000 data format onto your backbone, the TZ3 can read most of that and interpret it into either analog or digital dials, data points in a box, or in a full display. You can even use the swipe down preset feature to set a hotpage or preset to easily switch between your primary screen (e.x. plotter and radar, or plotter and FF) and a full, 1/2, or quarter instrument display screen.

For a list of all supported data types the TZTouch 3 series can handle take a look at the last page of the brochure.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

If understand your post, what you want to know is if you get NMEA fuel rate data on the network, can your TZT 3 calculate and display efficiency.

The answer is yes. The TZT 3 will use the GPS speed you set as the primary source and calculate real time fuel economy based on the fuel rate data it sees. You can then display the fuel rate and fuel economy in data boxes in the slide out databar on the left side of the screen.

It’s quite revealing to see how much of a difference relatively small changes can make to efficiency. On my boat if the trim tabs are too far down or not far enough down, it can knock 3-5% off the fuel economy. Same with speed. My most efficient cruise is about 27 kts. If I go up to 33 or 34, it knocks 10% off the fuel economy.

You will really appreciate having this data.

Thank you, super helpful.

Any suggestions/recommendations for diesel (send and return) flow meters that convert to N2K?

ajax":32xxakrv said:
Thank you, super helpful.

Any suggestions/recommendations for diesel (send and return) flow meters that convert to N2K?

I am lucky having Cummins QSB engines that are electronically controlled and output fuel rate in J1939 format that is easily converted to NMEA 2000 PGNs.

The traditional leader in fuel rate senders for decades is Floscan. They have a NMEA 2000 product that uses their senders and produces NMEA 2000 fuel rate data.

Another good option would be Maretron, which has a NMEA 2000 fuel flow rate interface box and offers senders. None of this stuff is cheap and as you note, you need two senders per engine.

The senders are available in different versions based on the engine's maximum flow rate. Remember that with a Diesel, the flow rate will be a lot higher than the actual fuel consumption. For example, my engines burn a maximum of 29.1 gph at WOT but the fuel flow to the injection pump is 57 gph. Check your manufacturer's specifications before you order.

Thank you, very helpful. Maretron and Floscan are the two I found in my google research as well. I went so far as getting quotes and find that Floscan is 2x the price of Maretron which is a little surprising. I can't imagine what would justify double the price - the only considerations I can think of are: (1) ease if install (2) longevity and of course (3) accuracy. I would love to know which of those things Floscan believes it is worth double the competitor price. Any thoughts?

ajax":18dxn5v0 said:
Thank you, very helpful. Maretron and Floscan are the two I found in my google research as well. I went so far as getting quotes and find that Floscan is 2x the price of Maretron which is a little surprising. I can't imagine what would justify double the price - the only considerations I can think of are: (1) ease if install (2) longevity and of course (3) accuracy. I would love to know which of those things Floscan believes it is worth double the competitor price. Any thoughts?

I have a feeling that Floscan is relying on the near-monoply they had for decades in fuel flow measuring systems for recreational boats. They charge more "because they can."

I think the Maretron system has a lot of options for calibrating and thus there is no reason it would be less accurate once that has been done. It is pretty easy to verify the accuracy of the fuel rate at least cumulatively by comparing the reading from the gauge with how much fuel you add to fill up. Based on dozens of experiences, I know that the fuel rate data out of my engines is within 2%

I recently installed the maretron gateway. There are 3 ports on the gateway and we were able to use one port at a time. 1 port transmitted fuel data, 1 port engine rpm and temps and I believe the 3rd transmitted engine hours and other info. Like OP I was after the NM/G so we used the port that was transmitting fuel info. Unless there is something we were missing would need 3 gateways per engine to add all the engine data to the network.

Its very useful having the fuel economy data on the TZT3 MFD's.

bryang223 - what engines did you connect to and can you share directionally the cost for the connection to N2K?

Thanks!

Back