DFF3D Transom Transducer Placement

jason808

I am in the process of setting up my boat, which is on way hopefully soon. It is a 21 foot walkaround, and I want to install dff3d for finding bait in 100-200ft and marking fish while trolling in 200-1000ft. I am pretty stoked about Furuno equipment for offshore.

I am deciding between a pocket mount transducer and a transom mount. The pocket mount will cost a bit more to get installed and am not sure who would be able to install it.

Here is a picture of my transom, does there look like any good spots to install the 165 multibeam?

Thanks!

EB840113-4142-4A38-98E4-A7E18F30AC4B.jpeg

Hi All,
I have looked into the transducers more.

Would I get good enough results,
running a
165T-TM54 on the starboard side where the current transducer is
and a
TM275LHW
on the port side?

I do not have experience with transducers this big and unsure of how well they would perform.
My main goal is to mark schools of bait(opelu which is a mackerel type fish) in 100-300 ft of water
and then mark pelagics in top 200 feet of water in up to about 1000-2000 feet of water
I would like to have more information to determine when I am trolling over fish and they are not cooperating and when i am trolling in the desert:)

Deep Blue and C-bass are much better at the acoustic stuff than I. I think they should pop in sometime and provide their opinion. I think if that current transducer has been getting clear water and working well for you; that would be an excellent choice location for 165T-TM54. I would really worry about the port side location. That prop will be picking up and pushing water up that direction to the face of the transducer. I think that is a no-go over there.

Thanks Johnny for the info!
Does anyone have any screenshots or experience running the
dff3d using a transom mount?
It is alot of money to spend, and I would like to know if anyone is having good results on single outboard 20ish foot boats.

If it works, it would be phenomenal for our water out here.
The ocean floor drops off quite fast out here and the pelagic fish go back and forth from 50ft to 1000ft. There are also alot of nooks and crannies that can hold fish.

Hello, i have the DFF3D transom mount 165T-TM54 transducer on my 22 foot center console Key West with a euro / stepped transom.

I am still working out the bugs as it is a new system.
I am receiving lots of PBG missing depth errors.

I changed the location of the transducer slightly, looking forward to testing it.

jason808,

Choose a location where there is a continuous water flow, where is it smooth and without any turbulence and/or free of bubbles, especially during high speeds. Also, look out for features on the hull like any strakes, struts, fittings, water intake or discharge ports, or anything that can create air bubbles or can cause transducer turbulence issues.

This location should be as close to the center of the boat, and on the side prop wash. On most single engines, this location will be on the starboard side (right) with the transducer location, and if possible at least 16 inches away from the propeller(s).

- Deep Blue :)

Back