DFF3D in deepwater - upper water column

DeepSouthTX

Furuno Fan
I recently got the DFF3D and a TZT3. Its been working great and I finally got out to deep water last weekend. I was hoping that I would be able to monitor the upper water column while trolling off the continental shelf. Too deep for the DFF3D 1000+ft to reach the bottom. But if I set my range manually I was not able to get the dff3d in 3d mode to show any information. And maybe thats not possbile on the 3d mode. Basically the "little boat" would not show on the screen without getting a bottom return. Is there a way to manually adjust settings in 3d mode to monitor the top 3 to 5 hundred ft of the water column for bait or fish schools? It would be awesome to use the wide beam to cover more water. The 3d mode would be a big plus because of the history it shows on the screen.

Also on the history of the 3d screeen -- Is it only the history thats on the screen thats available to recall? Or is there a setting for that as well. In other words if I was away from the helm for 5 minutes. Could I press pause then scroll back a ways to see if I missed anything? Right now its only whats on the screen which is good - but making sure I am not missing a setting that increases the history buffer. Thank you.

Sending this to the top. Anyone know if I can use the dff3ds 3D history mode to monitor the upper few hundred feet of water column while trolling in deep water? Water over the limit for any bottom return.

As a follow up to this I have been in very deep waters the last few trips. I can use the triple beam mode out there but not 3d history. That appears to be an issue with that mode, right? If I set the depth to 300 for instance on manual range, with triple beam that keeps the 3d history from bouncing all over the place. But even with that it basically freezes and does not advance the screen.

DeepsouthTX,
We are having a hard time visualizing this. So lets say you are fishing in 1000ft but only want to look at the top 300ft of the water column. Are you saying you can see fish in the triple beam but not the 3D mode, is that correct?

Snips

yes. thats correct. the triple beam mode works like a normal sounder. we were tuna fishing in 9000ft of water. using the triple beam mode to view the top 300ft. along with a normal sounder. the dff3d has much more coverage and u can easily see fish following the boat as your chunking or live baiting as you drift. the 3D mode at least for me it's basically unusable once there's no more bottom return. the screen stops advancing and all marks freeze on the screen for much of the time. I could have taken a screenshot but it's a freeze in time and the screenshot would look normal. you can't tell on the screenshot if the screen is actually advancing and new marks are showing. I was expecting it to work basically like normal without a bottom return when you're in deep water. you could be trolling for instance around a weed line and use 120 degree beam to look below it somewhat.

DeepsouthTX,
A couple of things to check, first is the TX Rate should be Manual 20.
Second the default settings for the 3D mode are for Seabed have you changed them for fish?

Snips

DeepsouthTX,
Also next time out, please check the cross section mode to see if fish targets are appearing there also.

Snips

DeepSouthTX":xtl8ubjh said:
I recently got the DFF3D and a TZT3. Its been working great and I finally got out to deep water last weekend. I was hoping that I would be able to monitor the upper water column while trolling off the continental shelf. Too deep for the DFF3D 1000+ft to reach the bottom. But if I set my range manually I was not able to get the dff3d in 3d mode to show any information. And maybe thats not possbile on the 3d mode. Basically the "little boat" would not show on the screen without getting a bottom return. Is there a way to manually adjust settings in 3d mode to monitor the top 3 to 5 hundred ft of the water column for bait or fish schools? It would be awesome to use the wide beam to cover more water. The 3d mode would be a big plus because of the history it shows on the screen.

Also on the history of the 3d screeen -- Is it only the history thats on the screen thats available to recall? Or is there a setting for that as well. In other words if I was away from the helm for 5 minutes. Could I press pause then scroll back a ways to see if I missed anything? Right now its only whats on the screen which is good - but making sure I am not missing a setting that increases the history buffer. Thank you.

Deepsouthtx. I am interested in purchasing a dd3d and curious if it works while trolling in deep water.

We’re you able to figure out how to lock the top 300’ and use dff3d history while trolling in deep water ?

Not the 3D history. But to be honest I have not tried it since the latest update. If I get out deep soon I will give it a shot. Probably going to be awhile though.

I am a little confused by this thread. I have used my DFF-3D quite a number of times in water deeper than its bottom detection range to get a wide angle view of the water column. I am using triple beam mode, not the history display that creates the moving map of the bottom. Actually I don't think I ever tried using the history mode in water too deep for it.

What I don't understand is why you would want to use the 3D history mode if there is no bottom to display? To get the red dot fish marks? Bait and fish do show up well in the triple beam display.

DeepSouthTX, does the cross section view work in deep water? I am planning to use the system in similar situations as you are and my brian has trouble processing the information displayed in the triple beam view, I have been planning on using the 3d mode to show myself and crew where the fish should be, but cross section would be my next choice.

Back