DFF3D 165T-B54 Transducer Location OK?

ToddF

Installing transducers next week. Want to see if there's anything glaringly bad about these install locations:

1) 165t B54 where the red marks are: red square in bilge, red x's on bottom of hull. Will most likely be relocating that discharge thru hull sitting 6 ft forward of here.
2) Also will be installing B175hw approx where the blue x is (forward of raw water intake thru hulls). This seems more straightforward but making sure its ok too.

Boat is single inboard Shamrock 270 Mackinaw

* Yes those two wire looms are no longer near/touching the shaft, both hanging up where others are above.
** I'd prefer to get the 165t-B54 as close to the centerline as possible. Obviously I'll still need to have room for working on shaft/shaft seal. Any issues with interference getting this as close to shaft as possible?

Thanks

Todd

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-02-06 122139.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-06 122139.png
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 27
I think it would be good to see what DeepBlue says but I think going near that drive shaft is a bad idea. Transducers elements vibrate to create sound and when placed near sources of vibrations they tend to have a lot a noise that you can fix. I don't think I would recommend that location.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read online at least one boat owner with same hull mount a B175 6 inches behind that starboard engine mount and had great results. Different transducer though, not sure if that matters, either way looking forward to hearing from the experts.

ToddF,

The general rule for transducers is location, location, location..! As the transducer's performance is completely dependent on the condition of the waterflow on where it’s installed. If there is any water disruption around the transducer, then the transducer's signal can get distorted, and it won’t perform properly.

Looking at the pictures you provided, you don't have a lot of options here in the way of real estate.

Because the DFF3D is such a wide beam, you do want to get it as close to the vessel's center are possible. And...if you install it too close to the propeller shaft/stuffing box this can cause you certain vibration, harmonic, and/or turbulence issues. So you'll need to keep the B54 Transducer as far as you can away from the propeller shaft/stuffing box as possible. Maybe try and squeeze it in closer toward the reduction gear.

Just one man's opinion...

- Deep Blue

Attachments

• B54 Transducer.jpg
    B54 Transducer.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 24
Thank you. I think its definitely possible to get it closer to, if not under, the transmission. There's more room under there than the camera angle shows. Here's some photos I just happen to have from tracking coolant drip to show the clearance. Its enough to get my hand partially under engine oil pan.

Attachments

• 20230202_125030.jpg
    20230202_125030.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230202_123203.jpg
    20230202_123203.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
ToddF,

If you can manage to squeeze in under there and stay on centerline, then it should have good waterflow with the best possible location.

- Deep Blue

Last edited:
Thanks again for your help. Couldn't get it to ideal flat location on centerline as it was just a bit too tight so went with the plan B spot as suggested. I do have a fairly smooth spinning shaft with minimal vibration and this is as far as I could get the two away so fingers crossed.

20230219_191520.jpg20230218_172007.jpg

ToddF,

Thanks for sharing these pictures, the installation of the B54 transducer looks good. I like the spot that you have selected and don't see anything where there might be an indication for potential turbulence.

It should perform nicely for you.

- Deep Blue

Back