DFF1-UHD + SS175H + B164 50/200

Septimus

Furuno Fan
Hi,

I recently bought a second hand boat that came with legacy Furuno gear. Specifically, TZT2 12, SS175HW, FCV-588, and B164.
I am considering adding some gear that I have kept off the boat I sold. Specifically, (second) TZT2 12, DFF1-UHD, SCX-20 and NMEA2000 network/hub; while removing the FCV-588.
My question is what is my best course of action regarding the existing transducers?
Will the UHD work with the existing SS175HW and B164 (50/200) - if so, how would this need to be cabled?
Any idea how the UHD would work with the SS175HW and a SS175L (which I understand is any easy swap out for the B164)?
I am thinking my other option is a TM260/265 (transom mount rather than cutting another hole in the hull), OR, just run the SS175HW into one TZT2 and the B164 (50/200) into the other TZT2, network them, remove the FCV-588, install the SCX-20 and forget about the UHD?
I would appreciate any suggestions you may have on the best way forward?
I typically bottom fish in 60' to 400' (foot) of water.

Cheers.

Septimus,

I would utilize your DFF1-UHD with existing SS175HW for the High Frequency Side, then carefully remove the B164 and replace it with a SS175L for the Low Frequency Side. This would be the easiest switch-out, and it provide you with a CHIRP Network Sounder that will be used for both the TZTL12Fs.

And you are correct in wanting to install the SCX20 and network via NMEA2000 Port. This will provide you with Position, Heading, including Heave to all the Furuno devices onboard, Which in turn, will provide good stabilization for the DFF1-UDH sounder module, and providing you with overall better sounder performance.

Once you have installed the DFF1-UHD and both TZTL12Fs, then I would remove the FCV588 and sell it to one of your buddies. The DFF1-UHD will more than handle all those sounder duties for you from now on.

- Deep Blue ;)

Deep Blue,

Thanks for your response and advice.
I am hoping the transducer swap out (B164 for SS175L) is an easy job, I have very good access?
It will take me a while to get a tech out to implement your plan, in the meantime, I have the SS175HW plugged directly into one TZT2 and the B164 plugged directly into the other TZT2.
Both TZT2's are networked. The B164 is working fine, but, for some reason the SS175HW is not - all I get is a blank screen? I didn't see a "SS175HW" in the sounder setup drop down list.
I am making the assumption that even though the internal transducer module in the TZT2 is not chirp, it will still work with a chirp high beam transducer?
Is there something I'm missing?
Once again, thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers.

Septimus,

If you have both TZT2 that are networked together, you'll have one of the TZT2 that is being used as the Master Sounder (probably the one TZT2 connected to the B164 transducer). You cannot select both the TZT2 sounders when they are networked together, even if one is High Frequency and the other is Low Frequency, its either one or the other. :noway

- Deep Blue ;)

Deep Blue,

I guess that explains the blank screen, when trying to bring up the second transducer.
It seems odd that merely networking the TZT's (and their separate internal sounder modules) causes my issue - is there a layman's explanation why this is the case?
So, will I have to physically disconnect (say) the B164 from it's TZT if I wish to view the SS175HW on the other TZT, and visa versa, or do I have to connect the SS175HW to the Master to get it working?
What if I simply pulled the blue ethernet cable from one of the TZT's, is the CANBUS data still available across the network, what would happen with the chart(s), and if I reconnected the ethernet cable at the end of a day's fishing, would any new waypoints entered during the day on the Slave TZT populate across to the Master TZT?
Sorry for all the questions, but, as I said it will be sometime before I can get a tech to the boat to install the DFF1-UHD and in the meantime, I'd love to do a real-world comparison between the SS175HW and the B164 transducers (notwithstanding they'd be running on non-chirp modules) on the boat before I commit to removing the B164 and buying and installing a SS175L.
Thanks for all your help Deep Blue.

Cheers.

Septimus,

So basically you don't' want two separate sounders fighting each other for any frequency bandwidth and causing interference with each other. By networking (the blue cables) of all the MFDs, you only need one sounder that can provide you with all the fish finder capabilities , via a network. That's why I am recommending using the DFF1-UHD as your main sounder. It's really an outstanding CHIRP Sounder that will handle everything that you will need in the way of fishing.

If you disconnect the Network Cables, you then will lose the ability to share the Sounder, Charts, Radar, Etc. to all your MFDs. The CANBUS (or NMEA 2000) Backbone only handles other types of Navigational Data, GPS Information, Digital Depth, Etc.

The SS175HW is a 1kW CHIRP Transducer using an Frequency of 150-250kHz and needs to be connected to the DFF1-UHD. Where the B164 is a 1kW Conventional Wave (CW) Dual Frequency Transducer using the fixed frequency of 50/200 kHz and can be connected to the internal sounder of the TZT2s.

- Deep Blue :)

Back