DFF1 Failure for the third time!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Johnson

I am now on my third DFF1 which has just failed again - but in a different way this time. It is now failing to connect to the Navnet network.

Here is what I am seeing...
- The network and hub are fine as I can see other devices across the network and communicate with these
- The ethernet cable to connect from the hub to the DFF1 is also fine as this works for other devices
- The port on the hub is fine as this can also be used for other devices
- Connecting direct from my1944CBB to the DFF1 produces the same result
- On the DFF1 the status indicator light blinks once and stays on - indicating a failure to communicate with the Navnet hub
- Its not the transducer as I have 2 working transducers in the hull and I get the same result with either or none of these plugged into the DFF1.
- On the DFF1 next to the ethernet port there is a transmit and receive LED indicator. The receive indicator blinks in a manner that looks like realistic network communication (that increases when I run a radar picture across the network) but the transmit LED stays on permanently.
- Trying to ping the DFF1 across the network or poll it with Wireshark produces no response from the unit
- When I start the DFF1 and log all output from it using WireShark I can see it transmit a startup UDP packet containing "SOUNDER" followed by a second UDP packet containing "DFF1" and the software version "0252352-02.04" and that's it - there is nothing further from it! It seems strange that it starts to transmit and then stops.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to resolve this?

Is it just me or is the DFF! a particularly unreliable item of equipment?

I see the DFF1 has been phased out by Furunno - they seem to recommend replacing it with the BBDS1 - which looks like a very similar unit with a different part number. Has anyoone had reliablity issues with BBDS1. I am not particularly keen to buy yet another sounder from Furuno if it proves equally unreliable. Its a great piece of kit when it works but each of my DFF1 units have lasted for 2-3 years then died.

This is not an axe grinding website. Being that this forum is moderated by volunteer Furuno USA employees we focus on questions and helpful answers. You obviously have some strong feelings and equipment issues that needs to be addressed directly to the official Furuno support structure. Please contact your Furuno distributor for assistance. If you are a Furuno USA customer, you can open an official case via www.FurunoUSA.com - Support - Ask a question. If you are outside the Furuno USA sales and support area, contact your local distributor. Contacts for other distributors can be found at www.Furuno.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back