DEX usage update

buckshot

Furuno Super Fan
I have great news, The Samsung DEX is completely compatible with the TZT3 MFD. :jump :furuno
Once the phone is plugged in and the DEX option is selected the TZT gave me full touch screen control.
I could open FishWeather, RipCharts, Navionics, ActiveCaptain and many more. I had complete touch screen control of every app without touching the phone.

From the USB-C hub ,
HDMI to HDMI input on TZT,
usb to usb micro on TZT
usb to usb power supply

Once connected to your phone, select the DEX function from the phone menu and activate touch screen control on the TZT in the video settings menu

This is the parts list
usb-c hub, although many others should work also

https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBoo ... spons&th=1

HDMI audio extractor, to send sound to the stereo for pandora,youtube, netflix just for the coolness factor :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084R ... 8J51&psc=1

Attachments

• 20220912_114157.jpgsmall.jpg
    20220912_114157.jpgsmall.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 556
  • 20220912_114557.jpgsmall.jpg
    20220912_114557.jpgsmall.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 556
That's very cool! When DEX was first introduced by Samsung I remember it was a really innovative concept to say the least.

Thanks for sharing your experience and letting us know that it works, :sail

- Maggy

I am home recovering from a surgery but I will do more tests as soon as I can, I want to test for split screen mode.
I did shoot a short video that I can send you, too big to post here. I also put it on the Furuno users facebook page.

There is also a hub that has dual HDMI outputs, If I ran HDMI to both TZT3's and ran the mini usb from both TXT3 units to that hub do you think it will work?
That way you could use either TZT3 as the DEX display.
Or
If you put the HDMI in the network with the VI-HDMI does the touch screen still work? or is it just video mirroring?

I cannot believe that in this forum this is not getting much feedback. I think this has opened the door to so many opportunities.

buckshot":3gw8s3hn said:
I cannot believe that in this forum this is not getting much feedback. I think this has opened the door to so many opportunities.

Oh, it has the wheels spinning in my head. I honestly prefer the bathymetry of the actual charts in Navionics over the Navionics charts that I have unlocked in my chartplotter. So this is a slight workaround to what I would consider one of the only things that Furuno does not do very well IMO. This makes me wonder if I can provide touch feedback to my iPad (literally the only apple product I own because of tz iBoat and the lack of Android support for this app) to give me the ability to "auto navigate" from the display. :think

75B3BF3A-3B13-4C97-BFF2-8198100FB52B.jpeg
72209112-6B4F-45C2-9578-45AE0803EA36.jpeg

from my research the IPAD products do not support touch screen displays. I do not own any though so I have no personal experience.

This is probably something that I will be playing with this weekend time permitting. Both with my Samsung S22 Ultra as well as with my tablet. Most everything that I have read on the touch inputs on the tablet everyone is trying to push the inputs over the HDMI cable. This method is sending it back with the USB. Either way, having the option to use/control my phone on the display is a small win in my book, thank you for publishing this effort. I meant to do testing on it the first time that you asked about it, but always forgot about it when I arrived at the boat.

Both the HDMI and the small usb on the Furuno need to be connected to get touch screen control. That is why the DEX usb-c hub is needed. Feel free to reach out to discuss
252-723-8288
Lee

Is there any way you can put videos on youtube or something that is more publicly accessible for people without facebook?

Back