Date Starts With 1Jan2014

Loy

Furuno Fan
Upon startup the date shows as 1 January 2014. This date remains displayed until the unit remains on for a variable period when it changes to the correct date and current location time. This time period can be from 10 minutes to over an hour.
This affects tide displays, etc.
My POSITION preferred data source is set to my VESPER XB6000 [AIS device with external GPS antenna] connected via NMEA 2k. While the incorrect date shows, the XB6000 is shown as the actual position source.
The ONLY DATE/TIME preferred data source option provided is TXT2 and this shows as the DATE/TIME actual source.

I'm not sure why the XB6000 isn't also shown as an optional DATE/TIME preferred source.

Apparently the TXT2 itself is temporarily providing incorrect DATE/TIME? Is this due to misapplied setting?

Can you send 2 pictures one of your sensor list and one of your data source? That way we can see what is going on and better help you.

To get to data source go to settings > initial settings > data source
To get to sensor list go to settings > initial settings > sensor list

View attachment Sensor List.pdfView attachment Data Source.pdfView attachment Wrong Date.pdfThanks Poseidon,

Posted here are photos of:
-Screen showing 1Jan2014 date
-Screen showing Data Sources
-Screen showing Sensor List

I prefer to source position from the XB6000 because its external antenna receives more satellites than the internal antenna in the TXT2.
If I change position source to the TXT2, the date changes to correct immediately; indicating the XB6000 may be the problem. I will also contact VESPER.

This also might apply?
https://forum.openmarine.net/attachment.php?aid=1544

Thank you for the pictures and yes you are correct Its definitely the XB6000 antenna. Talking with Vesper about it will be your best bet on figuring out why it's not putting out the correct info.

I agree.
But.....
Why is the TZt2 listed as the ONLY Date/Time Source?
and...
If the TZt2 is shown as the Date/Time Source, why does changing the POSITION Source from XB6000 to TZt2 correct the Date/Time?

If the Vesper GPS isn't communicating with the TZT2 then it wont be an option to choose from. The TZT2 has a built in internal GPS, so selecting that would change the incorrect date/time the Vesper is putting out, to the correct date/time. But sometimes even the internal GPS of the TZT can have a hard time getting its own data if its not in a good spot for signal. So if the TZT is not getting any good communication from the Vesper or the built in internal GPS of the TZT it will just keep searching and searching for a signal until it finds one. So that's why you would have such a long wait time of getting the correct info. You need a good GPS that can communicate and give the TZT a good source to use.

Hope this helps!

The XB6000 DOES communicate because POSITION from it is successfully used by TZt2.
Maybe the PGN for DATE/TIME is not set for transmit/receive on either device.
I will check.

We are getting closer to the reason why it takes time to display correct Date/Time.
- the Vesper XB6000 does NOT transmit the PGN for Date/Time [129033]. See the attached file listing the XB6000 PGNs. Hence why the TZt2 doesn't show it as a source for Date/Time.
This means that the initial incorrect Date/Time has to be coming from the TZt2.

-Because I've been doing the research for the problem on my salon-mounted TZt2 [it's winter and too cold on the flybridge], the salon's internal GPS antenna is having a hard time seeing the satellites. Hence the time delay for it to figure out actual Date/Time. = AHA!
The one-time I switched the Position source from XB6000 to the TZt2 and it immediately displayed the correct time must have been a coincidence.

I have a 2nd TZt2 on the flybridge; it has been off during this process. Of course, it would have an easier time seeing the satellites from its internal GPS. This brings up the question:
If both TZt2s are operating, will the flybridge BETTER reception of Time/Date be accepted and transmitted over the network for display on BOTH TZt2s?
Will this occur even if the salon TZt2 is the MASTER?

Attachments

• VESPER PGN List.pdf
    266 KB · Views: 25
The bottom line is you need a good source of Date/Time that is consistently present. If you upper NavNet gets a good signal and you use it (and set it) as the primary source that should work as long as you always power it on. If it isn't on the system will start looking at secondary sources hoping to find Date/Time. If the lower station isn't picking up signal and you have no other source, it will keep cycling looking for a good source and the time/date will revert to the default of 2014. Most have either an SCX20 or external GPS that is used for primary date/time source when the machine is buried in deep and not available to be a GPS. If the XB6000 provided the infomation it would work but it doesn't. Until you get a good source of that data; it seems you would need to use that upper station that you said seems to get good infomation.

Back