Charts

mintregila

The boat I recently purchased has Furuno equipment. Part of it is an older NavNet system with open array radar and sounder. I assume when the other unit failed, they replaced it with a TzT2 and a new autopilot. The systems obviously do not communicate with each other.

I have little recent experience with Furuno and am having a time getting what I want for charts on the TzT2. I visited Blue Water Charts in Ft Lauderdale to see what I could purchase for unlock codes but am a bit stymied. I want some decent bathymetric charts with charted wrecks and reefs marked. According to them, the CMap chart will not give that to me and neither will the "fishing" chart. The only option is to buy the CMor chart at $700 which would give me bottom detail. As far as I can tell, downloadable waypoints that mark all of Florida's artificial reefs are not compatible with Furuno.

All I can say is that coming from the Garmin and Simrad world, this has not been user friendly.

Any suggestions?

The free NOAA charts and the CMap Navigation chart will indeed show you charted wrecks.
To get more bathymetric detail, you would need the CMOR charts or the CMap Fishing chart. The CMap Fishing chart is included at no additional charge when you buy the CMap Navigation chart.
We have lots of options when it comes to charts.

Point files can be converted by third party systems like GPS Utility or Andren Seamarks. Furuno tech support can usually convert files for you when moving to a Furuno system as a one time courtesy if you email the file to them vis the website. What format is the file? We can readily import csv, most gpx, tzd, or tzx. https://furunousa.com/en/company/contactus

I can see how coming from fully integrated systems to a boat that has two separate ones can be bothersome. What is the older system onboard, NavNet, NavNet Vx2 or NavNet 3D? If 3D, the upgrade path would be easy. If NavNet or NavNet Vx2, it might be a good time to sell of the older parts while the market is hot, if you want to make a complete integrated system.

Actually, the free chart and what I was shown in the reseller's store shows a large area outside my inlet labeled "fish haven". Within that area are numerous sunken barges, concrete and other charted structures that are pinned on the standard chart cards. I was told I would not get anything with those artificial reefs pinned in either the CMap purchased download or the fishing chart.

You can send coordinates to the same email link above, requesting screenshots of the specific chart and they will send you one or two to verify. I do believe it is the same in my area. If it is marked "fish haven", that's it. There usually isn't much more detail.

Back