Channel 1 not available - then reboot

backman

Furuno Fan
I just had a very complex 4 MFD, radars, Sirius, 2 transducer, autopilot, etc, etc system installed. Sirius is on the NMEA 2000 net, but does not have the antenna hooked up yet.

When I bring up the 2 helm screens the second to boot gives the channel 1 not available message which I can’t dismiss. That screen is unusable and at some point reboots on its own. In 5 days of the system being “up”, I’m seeing 2-3 reboots on one of the 3 “on” MFDs before the system “stabilizes” and stays up. Reboots seem to be caused by a lost heading Sedona or lost chart master. This sure smells to me as a network issue.

Multiple questions - first is this due to Sirius not having its antenna connection?
Second - how do I see what “channel 1” refers to?
Third - is there a detailed event log somewhere th more information?
Fourth - other than waiting for the dealer to come back next week - how do I go about debugging the network?

You may want to post more info about the model of each of your equipment, including the ethernet hub.

I guess you would have tried disconnecting the Sirius box if it is easily accessible?

There is a log function you can access and save to a USB stick by going to initial settings and selecting "Service". Then it will ask for a password, which is "FURUNO SERVICE".

I was surprised to see a HUB 101 on your equipment list. That was designed to support the power synchronization over the network with the old NavNet 3D systems. A plain old ethernet switch like a Netgear GS108 is suitable and a little faster and would have been a lot cheaper.

Worst part is I had a hub101, had it ripped out s d junked without realizing till now it’s th3 same device.

In any event the channel 1 error is no where to be found in the manuals.

So - any clues what “channel 1” refers to?

backman":n406dtk2 said:
Worst part is I had a hub101, had it ripped out s d junked without realizing till now it’s th3 same device.

In any event the channel 1 error is no where to be found in the manuals.

So - any clues what “channel 1” refers to?

Larry- This is from the BBWX4 troubleshooting guide:
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 6.58.42 AM.png

So the error message would seem to be caused by the BBWX4 not having a signal. Did you unplug it from the network hub and restart?

Thanks, the one manual I didn’t check! The installer has the missing connector for Sirius, when we add that the problem should disappear?

One would hope so. This reminds me of the "unknown error code" alarm I get on the TZT 2 on my little boat when the Yamaha outboard is connected to the NMEA 2000 network. Even though it is working fine and displaying the fuel rate and rpms and there is nothing wrong with the engine, the TZT 2 thinks the engine is throwing a fault code and there is no way to disable the yellow alarm flag. After much back and forth with tech support, we concluded this is some quirk related to my engine being a 2007 model when the interface first became available. Almost none of the affected motors are actually connected to a TZT 2 so it is a rare issue.

I guess Furuno doesn't adapt their code to deal with unusual events especially well. Probably not too many people hook up their BBWX4 without an antenna connection.

Back