Can't Select AIS Target Near Active Route

RickVicik

Furuno Fan
I can't seem to select an AIS target for more info if it is close to my active route. The software seems to prioritize selecting the active route over the AIS target and includes the XTE boundaries, not just the route line (TZT19F running 2.01).

The only solution I've discovered so far is to stop navigating the current route, select the AIS target, then resume navigating the route. If there is an easier way, please let me know.

I've attached some screen shots showing that the pop-up is for the route, not the AIS target.
---rick

Attachments

• TZT3Screen_2021_08_18_11_17_30.png
    TZT3Screen_2021_08_18_11_17_30.png
    338 KB · Views: 589
  • TZT3Screen_2021_08_18_11_07_35.png
    TZT3Screen_2021_08_18_11_07_35.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 589
I have the same issue when too close to an old tracklines also. Same issue when trying to look at ARPA targets. The only solution that I have found when in this scenario is to hit the home icon, go to lists and select AIS targets or ARPA targets and scroll through the list.

Good suggestion about the AIS list. At that far range it is hard to select objects close together. You can also range in and select the target. It is doubtful much can be done at such a high range level and still allow easy selection of the active route. I have passed it to product development for any consideration of ideas for improvement.

Suggestion for how to handle that:

Put arrows in the pop up box that grabs all objects within a 1-inch circle (or whatever size seems logical) of the touchpoint that we can scroll through those chart objects, overlays or options. I have seen something like that on other mapping software that we use in the military. It is a little clunk but it would beat having to go to another screen for a list.

I too have this problem and using the list was the only workaround I found. But this is also cumbersome as you are not sure which object on the long list is the one you wanted. It is typically targets close to your route that are of interest and the ones that you want to activate the CPA display.

Generally the touch interface is quite poor in guessing what you want to do. Doing something with the active route is usually the least likely thing and operations relating to it can easily be done via the active route bar at the top of the screen.

Maybe showing a different item when you touch the same point again would be a solution. Also giving targets near the touch point priority would help, there are many other points where one can touch the route leg, where there is no target.

Another way to handle this problem is to put up a menu that lists the overlapping screen objects when there is ambiguity in the selection. The BoatingHD product from Navionics does that.

A downside of their implementation is that if the disambiguation menu is triggered, it lists all screen objects that could possibly apply to the selected point including those that cover wide regions and could easily be selected by picking a different point. On the other hand, somehow they figured out how to put AIS targets and routes at the top of their menu (sort by size?).

Taniwani brings up an interesting point in that if an object is large enough to select at some other point, the user would probably try that next. It is only the objects that can't be selected at some other point that are the problem.

I'm looking forward to Furuno's solution to this problem.
---rick

Back