C-MAP 4D and Navionics Platinum +

pfrith44

Just upgraded my GP1971F to Ver 4 code. Is there any issue with having both my C-MAP 4D and Navionics Platinum + card inserted simultaneously while using my chart plotter, allowing me to change between charts on the fly if desired? Thanks.

pfrith44":10azk1oh said:
Just upgraded my GP1971F to Ver 4 code. Is there any issue with having both my C-MAP 4D and Navionics Platinum + card inserted simultaneously while using my chart plotter, allowing me to change between charts on the fly if desired? Thanks.

When your plotter is setup for CMAP 4D, and you insert a Navionics+ card in it you'll receive a prompt, "Navionics Card has been inserted. Please, restart the device to apply it."

If you restart, it'll reboot the plotter into Navionics Mode to use the new card.
If you cancel, nothing happens.
If you restart, than pop out the 4D card and re-insert it, it'll prompt you as above to restart into CMAP 4D mode instead.

Tested it this morning,

Hope this helps,
- Maggy

Attachments

• IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 982
I recently purchased a Gp1971. I haven't purchased a chart card yet. I will be fishing in shallow(less than 120 feet) most of the time. I'm interested in seeing bottom contour and wrecks.

Which chart might be better? CMAP or Navionics?

Thanks

plapinta":362j8jmh said:
I recently purchased a Gp1971. I haven't purchased a chart card yet. I will be fishing in shallow(less than 120 feet) most of the time. I'm interested in seeing bottom contour and wrecks.

Which chart might be better? CMAP or Navionics?

Thanks

This is nearly almost impossible to know.

Perhaps if you provided a GPS Lat/Long position it might be possible to provide a chart example of each for you to evaluate which was better.

- Maggy

plapinta":1gg336c6 said:
Maggy,

Thanks that would be helpful. I fish out of Barnegat Inlet:

39°45'44.6"N 74°05'59.1"W

Paul

Gee whiz Paul,

Hard to tell.... From what I can see, I think I'd recommend that you get two GP1971Fs and buy one of each! :cool :D

- Maggy

Attachments

• CMAP4D.png
    CMAP4D.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 708
  • NAVIONICS.png
    NAVIONICS.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 708
I purchased the CMAP 4D chart, not very happy with the look of the Jersey coast in either raster or vector. The unit switches between the two based on how I zoom in or out. Frustrating. As an example there is a 'fish obstruction' area(Barnegat reef) 3 miles east of the inlet. It's only visible on the raster chart type. But if you zoom in it changes to Vector and you lose the fish obstruction outline and detail. Very strange.

Also, probably unrelated, the setup setting for the unit has Navionics selected even though I'm using CMAP. I cannot change the selection the CMAP. Very strange.

Paul

If the software is setup for Navionics it is not reading the C-map map. The mapping you are seeing is most likely just the base chart. I would recommend backing up the point and factory clearing the unit with no chart ship; then selection C-map as the chart type when it powers up for the first time without a chip. Shutdown and put chip in and come back up again. Once you have it setup for C-map and a C-map 4D Chip it should work for you. If concerned about the data, in a particular area you might discuss that with C-map because they might have a newer version or suggested solution.

Back