"best" transducer setup

GUS

I am fitting out a new 29' Sea Vee (non-stepped hull). I will be installing dual 12" TZT3s, DFF3D, DI-FFAMP and the network switch.

I want to get the transducers right!!! I presently do most all my fishing in New Jersey, 10' - 300' depth. However, in retirement, I plan of fishing Florida and much deeper depths. (Would be awesome to see tile fish on the bottom in up to 1000 feet of water)

I am looking at a 165T-PM542LM to be mounted in the middle stern flat area between and just forward of the outboards. In addition, I plan on a B175HW/20 to the port of that (Sea Vee is a 25 degree deadrise at the transom) and a Mercury Vesselview 235 KHz fixed frequency tri-ducer to the starboard as a "backup (Stuff Happens, Murphy's law thing).

Question(s),

Is this the best Furuno setup for me?

Do you see any frequency interference or networking issues while all are operating?

Sea Vee will start building the boat in 2/2021, can you share any insights on new products coming out before then that would be beneficial to this setup? I might be able to "pause" the transducer setup if Furuno has new surprises in store by then.

Gus, I was hoping the sounder Gods would jump in here with some advice for you. Have you watched the "Furuno Connections" video showing Season ONE? They totally rebuilt a SeeVee and the setup worked fantastic. I could see that same system on yours except like you said TZT3 instead of TZT2.

Gus, I am running a DFF3D along with a B275LHW. In my opinion you would have your bases covered pretty well with that setup. Had a 2kw on my last boat. You should have more than enough power for tiles in 1000ft. Heck we have marked what we needed to and murdered the tiles with a b175m

Thanks guys.

Yes, Johnny, I did watch the Furuno Connections video, that is how I chose the pocket transducer......which is Low & Medium chirps, but also am planning to add the separate high chirps (but lower) power transducer.

Gus got out yesterday and found a new spot that had tiles on it. I believe the red might be bait, the tiles had a bunch of small baitfish in their stomachs. I was thinking along the same lines as you when I bought this boat. I was going dff amp and a 2 to 3kw. But the boat already had this b275lhw in it. And along with the tzt3 its performing above expectations. I will probably just keep. It Also went out a little deeper to a little hump to do a sword drop and the sounder was marking exceptionally well.

TZT3ScreenShot_2020_08_15_16_02_54.png

TZT3ScreenShot_2020_08_15_13_35_09.png

deepsouth, does the B275LHW work with the tzt3 with the dff module? I am in the process of outfitting my 28' cc and i am in a dilemma. My goal is to find one transducer that will do both chirp and work with the tzt3 with the 3d module. From what I read, I need a either 2 transducers or a combo "pocket transducer" - in your post, you say your running the 3d module and B275LHW transducer - but this one doesnt say it is 3d compatible.

My goal, one transducer that can provide both chirp sounding and 3d compatibility ( i know I still need the 3d module)
I am going with the tzt3 mfd with the built in chirp, the dff3d module, now to find the right transducer.

Furuno can confirm this but I believe they make 3 combo transducers for the dff3d. 2 are pocket mount and 1 is a through hull with fairing block. None of these have a 275lhw. But they do make a pocket mount with the dff3d element and a 265LH. Which actually is probably more versatile. It has the exact same low element as mine so the same capability are the above pictures. Combined with a more narrow high frequency side. Which would be a great compliment to the dff3d.

DeepSouthTX":vqbo5dw8 said:
Gus got out yesterday and found a new spot that had tiles on it. I believe the red might be bait, the tiles had a bunch of small baitfish in their stomachs. I was thinking along the same lines as you when I bought this boat. I was going dff amp and a 2 to 3kw. But the boat already had this b275lhw in it. And along with the tzt3 its performing above expectations. I will probably just keep. It Also went out a little deeper to a little hump to do a sword drop and the sounder was marking exceptionally well.

View attachment 1

Deepsouth, how deep have you been able to see bottom and fish/bait with your setup? I am looking to do the same as Gus with the 2kw combo but might rethink if i can get to 1800-2000 with the LH setup.

Simonsez, I have not tried to mark anything on the bottom past 1500ft so far. But I have been in 2000ft+ of water marking the deep scatter layer. Which is around 1500 to 1600ft here. And it will do that well. Not sure what type of fishing your doing but if pinpointing groups of fish on the bottom in 2000ft is what your after I would shoot for the 2kw. As the power goes up the cone width usually goes down.

Back