BBXW4-signal loss

shindig

Installed a Furuno BBXW4 in the spring and have an active Sirius radio and weather subscription. It has a clear view of the sky, however I routinely loose signal and receive a disconnect error message on the TZ2 screen. Sometimes, I receive the screen error message, but continue to receive be able to listen to the Sirius music.

This occurs on clear days while the boat is traveling in all directions. Signal re-sets have not remedied these symptoms. All antenna connections are tight.

Any insight?
thanks

I think the problem is with the Ethernet and not the BBWX4. Ensure all Ethernet cables are shielded and have metal connectors. Cheap network cables are a big problem with pulling in noise to the system and shouldn't be used. Too many hubs in a network can cause network delays that can also cause this issue. Three hubs is max on an Ethernet network. If you have a MFD that offers more than one port and are using more than one; it counts as a hub.

All the ethernet cables are the ones supplied with the respective units. (blue with the metal ends) with the exception of the one which came with the BBXw4 which is "black"

Should I replace the cables? All of them? Move the BBxW4 to an open port on the hub? thanks for your help and let me know what you think.

If you have an MFD with more than one network port, like the TZT2BB, I would recommend taking the data direct to the MFD and running it for a few days to see if the problem stays or clears. I wouldn't just randomly replace cables until you find a good logical reason for the problem.

Am I able to connect the BBXW4's ethernet cable directly to the TZ2's ethernet port?

If so, and it functions w/o issue, then can I assume the BBXW4 cable is fine? Then through the process of elimination swap out the ethernet cable b/t the TZ2 and the hub? If the signal loss message returns , change out the hub.

Am I thinking this through correctly?
thanks again

My idea would be to try the direct connection and if good then, I agree the network cable used by the BBWX4 should be good. If it isn't then it is the most likely problem. The next item if not the BBWX4 cable would be to consider the hub you are using. What network hub is on this install?

You can always pull a log file from the unit and provide to tech support. The network dropping the weather data might have something to do with the MFD getting busy with something else. If they can't find any reason for it, the error sounds like the network cable but testing direct should help you determine that.

I wanted to follow up regarding this. I replaced the Ethernet hub and have had no issues with signal loss for a month. thanks for your assistance.

Back