B744v transducer

P

P B

I have a B744V triducer with the high performance fairing in a 22 ft panga. I would have preferred a B45 with the smaller hole in the hull but this is how it ended up. I don't ever plan to use the speed part and only use the blanking plug. It worries me that it might fail at some point as I sometimes run the boat up on sandy beaches. Has any one pulled all the plastic parts out and filled the hole? Any suggestions as to what would be the best product to use? I was thinking of either Sikaflex or epoxy. A plastic part with two O rings is pretty similar to the bung in the transom, am I being overly fearful of it leaking?

P B,
Is your main concern leaking or that the insert is going to be push out?

Snips

I was concerned that after years, the plastic nut or the cap may crack and fall apart despite the safety wire. Maybe having a soft timber safety plug wired to any through hull is enough.
Has anyone ever sunk from one of these failing?

P B

P B,
Not to my knowledge.
However I don't know that anybody has ever really torture tested one just to see how much abuse that center plug can take before failing.

If the top of the transducer was exposed to sunlight I could see that over time that the plastic cap could get brittle. But if it is not exposed to sunlight and in a place where it won't be stepped on I don't think I would be concerned about it.

Snips

Thanks Snips,
It's well protected in a rear locker under the life jackets and next to the bilge pump, not that I'm superstitious.
I've tried the lot over the years, transom mount, flush mount thru hull, in hull, there is air everywhere with this narrow flat hull but with the fairing finally getting pictures like in the brochures

P B

Back