Autopilot needs "Lazy S" turns

c1steve

I have been using a Simrad pilot which has both Lazy S turns, and zig-zag turns. These follow your specified course. For albacore, the zig-zag course provided a similar amount of hook ups as running straight, which was low.

However the Lazy S turn mode was super effective, easily 5x as many albacore biting as when running semi-straight. 10x as many hook up is probably a better estimate. If Furuno would incorporate Lazy S turns, this would increase sales as well as fish catches.

I will pass your comment to Product Development but I wonder if the Furuno pilot doesn't already offer that with the ZigZag pattern because you can set/open up the the turn angle to the degrees you want. Turns.JPG

Judging by the hookup ratio in the exact same area as I was also using Lazy S turns, I suspect that the smooth turns better matched the natural movement of bait fish.

In a zig-zag course change, the lures come close to no movement when the boat turns. With the Lazy S, the lures are always moving but changing speeds which appears to be the enticement. The smooth acceleration and deceleration appears to be the key.

Back