AIS to Furuno 1945 radar

russell

Hi

I tried to set AIS receiver to my Furuno 1945 radar. Before AIS set up I had only GPS connected to the radar and it does work fine. Problem is that the AIS targets won’t show up to the radar screen. The AIS menu will turn from gray to white. When GPS is alone connected to the radar correct NMEA 0183 sentences are shown. Whit AIS receiver there is not any NMEA sentences on diagnostics.

I connected first the GPS to AIS and then AIS to radar. This is because I have only one cable at the moment. My AIS does have internal multiplexer. When this did not work, I disconnected GPS from AIS with same result. With or without GPS connected to AIS there is no NMEA sentences reported. Only when GPS is alone connected to radar sentences are shown. In both cases AIS menu is open to operate when AIS is connected.

Now I tried search this forum many times and I found partial information about similar case. Is my problem that GPS and AIS have to be on their own cables? If so, does radar need heading for AIS targets to be shown (this is something also mentioned on this forum I think)? My AIS is only receiving model.

I also have Furuno PG-700 fluxgate heading sensor. It only sends NMEA 2000, but it is connected to Furuno NAVPILOT 700 through Furuno processor unit FAP7002. Manual says it can send heading sentence in NMEA 0183 format. So, would this processor unit work as kind of NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter?

These systems are installed before my time with this boat. New thing is AIS which does work well whit Lowrance HDS 10 plotter on same boat.

My AIS is AMEC Cypho 150S and it’s only NMEA 0183. Baud rate is 38400 for AIS and for GPS is 4800. Multiplexed is of course 38400. Furuno 1945 radar supports both 38400 and 4800.

Hope if someone can help!

Do you have a NMEA2K backbone on your boat? If so, what I would do it come off of the backbone with a IF-NMEA2K converter into the 1945 for heading.

Back