AIS not displaying

This one is embarrassing to ask. I'm sure it's some setting I turned off -- but hours playing with it and reading the manual isn't doing it, so here I am.

I have a pair of MFD8's. The master is at the Nav Station, the helm is a slave. I didn't install it, but I'm 95% sure the AIS goes to the helm (and then echoes to the Master).

AIS targets are displayed at the Nav Station (Master). To me, since the AIS goes first to the Slave, the data is there. Also, GPS data comes in to the Slave, and echoes to the Master, so I know the ethernet connection is good.

The Slave shows no AIS targets. I've found the Soft Rotokey that allows selecting the AIS (and tried turning it off and back on). The Target section in setup has everything selected. I've set (and even factory reset) the parameters page, and the "ignore" is 12NM and 0.0 kts. Every page, I've tried to ensure entries match the Master. There are multiple targets displayed on the Master (some making way), but zero on the Slave.

Please help! I'm sure when you tell me, I'm going to go hang my head in shame....

Thanks.

Your best next step is to find exactly where your AIS wires in. The NN3D does not support AIS via 2000. Any AIS would need to be either a Furuno network AIS box or 0183 NMEA data. So it sounds like yours is NMEA 0183 but to set up everything properly, you would need to follow the wiring from the AIS and find what unit and which port it is wired into. Then run the setup wizard and ensure that AIS is checkmarked for that port for the INPUT, so that it properly processes. You will also want to check all the remaining ports on all units to ensure that AIS is not turned ON by mistake for ports which AIS is not coming into.

Johnny,

Thanks for the thoughts.

* I'm 95% sure AIS comes into the Slave on 0183
* I have AIS displaying on the Master, so at some point and some how, the system sees it.

I'll run Setup Wizard again and check that AIS is set for that port.

Thanks again!

Harry

You can run the slave setup wizard and use the "Port Monitor" to look for good AIS and find the port. AIS data sentences start out !AIVDM or !AIVDO then raw data that you can't make sense of. (hexadecimal)

Johnny,

Again, you solved it.

I had the port set up correctly, and using the monitor, I could see the AIS sentences. I had the AIS box checked.

I did NOT have the unit set to look at that port for AIS. So the AIS was on the network, and going out to other devices, that particular device did not see it. Or at least that's how I think I understand it. As soon as I said to look to PORT 2 for AIS, alarms started going off! And AIS targets are on the screen.

You are the best. Thanks.

Harry

Back