8050D radar fix

Drd715

I have an 8050D radar. A bit oldish, but a solid performer. Issue - it worked fine yesterday, but today the tuning bars don't show any tune indication and the image is very weak and only shows in the .25 and .50 rranges. Seems the tuning circuit/ function has quit or gone out of range. Any ideas on where to look for adjustment of locating the source of the problem. I like this old simple set. It is a "tank".

When was the last time the magnetron was changed? It seems like either it is tuning onto a noisy side lobe of the MAG or the MIC has an issue.

2nd magnetron. 2600 hrs TX 4300 hours on time. Worked one day not the next at turn on. Very weak TX with weak returns on .25 and .50 mile ranges. No tuning. Reciever works fine. I'm thinking magnetron. Could be mic, but probably magnetron. I need to find a good shop with a bench test jig for the xciever module. Like this old set and had it since new. Probably should get a second modern solid state unit for backup or just replace the old one if cost to replace Maggie is to much porportiately to a modern set. Will have to look into it further. Out on dive trips in the Bahamas all summer so night moves are problematic .

A tech would need to troubleshoot but if working one day and not the next is normally a symptom of the modulator board. It might be worth seeing if you can pick up an old used unit to play swaptroincs with, if you are trying to do your own work. It is definitely an antique. We have a lot of older ones out there. You could send it into our repair center for evaluation but costs might be better spent on a new unit unless you have some other used parts to play with.

Where's your shop? I will be back in Florida for September. The 8050D came with a thorough manual including schematics and adjustment/test procedures. Not that I'm very competent in sorting things out, but I did build a few Heathkits ssb transceivers and several other projects many years ago. So the maggie swap looks easy enough. We will see when I get the parts in a couple of week's. Will update the saga as it develops.

Back