711/7002 Autopilot Wind Mode Steering

capdave

I have a 7002 processor with 3 X 711 control heads. The system gets heading from an SC33 SatCompass (with a PG700 backup), and apparent wind from an FI-5001 masthead sender. There are two TZTF12s in the network too. There's also wind speed and angle displays on an FI-70 and two FI-501s.

The autopilot works pretty well on Auto and Nav. But on Wind mode upwind, steering to apparent wind angle, it hunts constantly. It's like there's zero deadband, none at all. Have tinkered with various settings, but nothing seems to make a difference.

I've tried it a little on Wind mode downwind, steering to calculated true wind angle - but it struggles even more, seems to be having trouble calculating the TWA. Raises the question - where in the system does that calculation take place?? What does it use for boat speed input - speed through the water, or SOG? Where are the settings for that??

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have STW, it will always use that data first over SOG. My guess is the STW sensor is fouled. Have you checked the paddle wheel?

Back