587 with TM260 setting for deep water

A

Anonymous

Having a bit of a discussion on setting for my friends 587 when fishing in deep water. A guy is telling us we are wrong using TVG high setting for fishing in 400m to 500m of water targeting fish on the bottom he insists it should be set to low. Here is a screen shot of the sounder last week as soon as the sinker hit the bottom we caught fish.

TVG : High
Shift : 80m
Gain : 8.7
Drifting upto 1 knot
Screen 4/1 Will try with the screen slowed down as suggested by snips in another post

My theroy is based on my FCV 295 manual with the TVG set high " as it does not have all the extra settings " it will remove all the echos higher up allowing better soundings down the bottom or am i wrong ?

Any suggestion to settings even though it works can always try getting it better

Thanks Andrew

Andrew,
Thanks for posting your screen shot. The control of the TVG (Time Varied Gain) function on the 587 is different than the 295. As you can see from the screen shot below the lower the setting (Low, Mid & High), the lower the shallow range gain. Unfortunely there is not a setting change that will help fill in those gaps in the bottom as that has to do with turbulence going over the face of the transducer.

Snips

Attachments

• TVG.jpg
    TVG.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 2,429
Thanks for that Snip was a sloppy day when i had taken that picture but now i no what the lines " gaps " are can live with that when you know its still showing fish

Thanks

Andrew

Back