1Kw transducer 600w FCV628 in Aluminum Hull

qbflyer

Recently replaced old Furuno LS series with FCV628 connected to original P319. Was hoping for easy fix as this is a secondary stand alone backup unit. FCV628 fit the existing dash space. Perf is better but readings drops out when up on step at normal cruising speed 22 knots. Always drops out at 30+. I know aluminum and bronze don’t mix. What about with a block? Can I upgrade to a bronze or SS 1kw thru hull transducer with a high speed block with this set up to hold the depth readings at higher speed? Boat is a Titan 249XL Cabin model aluminum hull with twin Yamaha 200s. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Tks.

Stainless steel would be preferred over bronze.

Isolation bushing and sealant would likely be required to make sure the transducer is isolated. We always recommend following the transducer manufacturers factory installation recommendations.

We have seen some folks use isolation sleeves around the stem as well

C-Bass

Thanks. Like the idea of adding isolation sleeves as well. I am currently looking at the Airmar SS260-10F 1kW 50/200kHz Broadband High-Definition Stainless Steel Thru-Hull Furuno 10-Pin to connect to the FCV628. Thought the high speed block would both satisfy isolation needs and redirect turbulance for better perf. What do you think of this choice? Am i on the right track? Any alternatives to suggest? Totally open to being corrected. This is for our volunteer run RCMSAR Search and Rescue boat and I want to spend our groups funds wisely. Tks.

QBFlyer,

Typically when we recommend transducer's for high speed performance we normally suggest transducers that have the option to install a high speed fairing. I think you are on the right track.

The SS260 is a great performing transducer even if it is used with a 600watt fishfinder like the FCV628. I don't think there are many alternatives for a aluminum vessel and transducers. The fairing is the way to go I believe.

Keep in mind the FCV628 is a diplexed fishfinder, so you want to make sure the one you purchase is a diplexed version.

Link below to the SS260 manufacturers installation doc. This is from the Airmar Website.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-008-05.pdf

C-Bass

Back