1835 Radar AIS is "greyed out" in Setup Menu

MarineElect

Hi, I have a Comar AIS onboard and the 34,800 baud output is connected to NMEA2 on the 1835 Radar. I've got the NMEA2 baud rate set to match (34,800). When I go to enable AIS in the setup menu, the AIS is greyed out and I cant access it. Any ideas please

Do you have a heading sensor (compass) connected. Heading is required for AIS operation.

Hi Melville,
Yes, the radar has heading (AD-10 format) from a PG500. Heading works fine and the ARPA function is OK which also needs the heading data. I'm going back to the boat today, and will see if I can find anything wrong with the AIS NMEA data or connections - have checked already but...

Hi Melville,
Problem sorted. The radar needs to see valid AIS data before it will let you turn on the AIS targets in the menu. Careful checking of with NMEA0183 wiring (done by "others" and I found an additional junction in the cable to the Radar and the NMEA 0883 receive wire (yellow) was incorrectly connected to ground, so although the data looked OK going in ant the AIS end, the Radar was not receiving the AIS data. Fixed that and now it's all go :)

Back