1715 NMEA setup

CaptShip

Hi

Want to connect either a Standard Horizon Explorer 1700 or a Garmin EchoMap 94SV to my 1715 radar.
I have purchased the 000-154-028 1 X 7 pin NMEA connector.

Standard Horizon NMEA info:
BLUE - NMEA GPS Input (+)
GREEN - NMEA GPS Input (-)
GRAY - NMEA DSC Output (+)
BROWN - NMEA GPS Output (-)
NMEA 0183 Input (4800 baud) GSA,GSV,GGA,GLL,GNS,RMC
NMEA 0183 Output (4800 baud) DSC and DSE GSA GSV GGA GLL RMC

NOTE Some GPS chartplotters have a single wire for NMEA signal ground. In such case connect NMEA input(-) to the GPS chart plotter single NMEA signal ground wire and leave the NMEA output (-) open

Garmin NMEA Info
BROWN - NMEA 0183 Internal port Rx (in)
BLUE NMEA Internal port Tx (out)
BLACK Ground ( power and NMEA 0183)
NMEA Transmit - GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMB, RMC, RTE, VTG XTE

Which unit would you recommend to use for supply of NAV info for the 1715 and what wires need to be connected??

I see the NMEA info in the 1715 Opeartors manual listing the info that it can take in, but have not located wiring color info for the NMEA connector cable Furuno #000-154-028 1 x 7 pin. Seems the NMEA 0183 "standard" is rather loose.

Thanks in advance
Steve

NOTE Some GPS chartplotters have a single wire for NMEA signal ground. In such case connect NMEA input(-) to the GPS chart plotter single NMEA signal ground wire and leave the NMEA output (-) open

Those types of units don't comply with the NMEA standard which requires RS422 level NMEA to be certified. Having a single ground is using RS232 and would require a proper RS232/RS422 level converter be used between devices. Trying a direct connection wouldn't be recommenced and most likely will result in problems and circuit failure.

I see the NMEA info in the 1715 Opeartors manual listing the info that it can take in, but have not located wiring color info for the NMEA connector cable Furuno #000-154-028 1 x 7 pin. Seems the NMEA 0183 "standard" is rather loose.

The NMEA standard for 0183 doesn't establish a required wiring color. This was left up to each manufacturer, unlike NMEA 2000 that the colors are well established by NMEA.

I would recommend using the Standard Horizon (SH) unit if it has internal GPS, otherwise you would need to purchase a level converter to use the Garmin. The wiring of the SH would be as follows based on the information you provided:

SH GRAY - NMEA DSC Output (+) --------------1715 Yellow (+) IN
SH BROWN - NMEA GPS Output (-) ------------1715 Green (-) IN

I would recommend the following sentences from the SH.
GGA GLL RMC

Thank you for your quick response! Was leaning towards the SH unit after reading the many posts with garmin nmea connectivity issues.

will test setup in my shop tonight and let you know how it went.

thanks
steve

connected the SH Explorer 1700, turned on the NMEA output sentences GGA,GLL and RMC
connected to the 1715 as you advised and voila, worked like a charm!
Scanner test confirmed the NMEA sentences were live.
Output of time/date lat/long no speed or course as I used a temp stationary setup in the yard.

separate question: I have a 2nd 1715 RDP-142 display which I had a brain freeze and inadvertently crossed the polarity which fried something on the board #03P9320 122 also numbered D45110141 - does furuno repair the board or is it a throw away? Authorized repair station said cost to replace and install the board was nearly the price of a brand new system, hardly sensible to me - found a 2010 model at a reasonable price but if the board is repairable would be nice to have a spare.

It would have to be evaluated but many times they can replace the NMEA driver chip. The problem is labor/time still won't make the repair cost below about a $150 best case.

Hi
Finally launched - weather has not cooperated!

Did not get a COG readout on the 1715

Checked all settings to see if any obvious selections to change
I tested scanner following instruction manual and see NMEA GGA, GLL and RMC are all active.
I did get a brief COG display after exiting the system menu but when I changed range it went away
All other outputs - Lat/Long, Time, Speed are correct

I see the SH COG is True - EBL on 1715 is also True

Everything else on the 1715 works perfectly - I must be missing something!

Any suggestions for settings?

Thanks

Steve

There must be something about the sentences being provided that the 1715 doesn't like. When wired correctly and correct baud rate, most GPS sources work fine. you might talk to see if SH has an update for their device.

Back