1623 to Gps39 via nmea2000

Dstarling

Hi,
I’m reinstalling a bunch of gear on a boat I’ve refinished. It came with a 1623 and a gp39.
I installed a Suzuki sm4 and would like for those three to share info if possible over nmea2000.
If that’s not possible I’d like the 1623 and gp39 to share info. I’m new to nmea and furuno but have patience and know how to wire. Need help on a basic level. Thank you.

Both the 1623 and the GP39 are NMEA 0183 devices without any NMEA 2000 connection. You would require a NMEA 0183/2000 converter like the Furuno IF-NMEA2k2 for each unit if you want them both bi-directional. Whenever you add like items to NMEA 2000 bus, you must prevent conflicts so in this case if you add two; the instance number of one of the converters must be changed so they don't step on each other. Wiring on the unit side is pretty simple to match up wires to the converter. I think both of these units have already been discussed on the forum with wiring provided. The other end would connect to your existing NMEA 2000 bus on the boat.

Thank you Johnny, that makes sense. Didn't think the converters would be that expensive though. Think I'll just try to interface the two together for now. Any suggestions on how to find those wiring diagrams you mentioned?

I normally use the forum search box to look for a few key words.
Here is one example post that explains how to read the interconnection wiring diagram in the manual. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6886&p=27741&hilit=1623+0183#p27736

The forum has been running since 2011 so many questions have been asked and answered that would provide what is needed.

If you are connecting the GP39 to the 1623 it would be like this...

GP39 ------------- 1623

WHITE(+) OUT ---------YELLOW(+) IN
BLUE (-) OUT ----------- GREEN (-) IN

That will allow GPS data to be used for the 1623.

Back