Furuno 711C and Evinrude G2

W

WaterWolf2230

Hi there,

I want to add a Furuno 711C to my twin Evinrude G2 200's. My chart plotter is a Simrad Evo 3. I want the Furuno for its Sabiki Mode as I do a lot of jigging. Will the Furuno interface with the steering system of the Evinrude G2's? What equipment do I need to properly interface it with the Evinrudes? There isn't a Furuno dealer anywhere near where I live so I'm relying on the forum for help.

Much thanks,

Curtis

Do you have a Hydraulic steering helm or a newer drive by wire type? Do you have a joystick? What type/model is that?

Sorry, but I don't have possession of my boat yet as it is being built and will be ready for April. I'm trying to do the research in advance. The G2's use hydrolic steering, I"m not sure how the autopilot is supposed to integrate. The company rigging my boat are very experienced Evinrude dealers but they don't have a lot of experience with autopilots.

Hope that helps explain a bit...

Thanks,
Curtis

I don't have a joystick. I'll have two helms. The main helm will have a steering wheel with a Icon II Dual Binnacle Control and a 4.3" digital display for the motors. The second helm at the rear of the boat will match that. The two engines will be held together with a tie-bar from Evinrude.

Your system is a new drive by wire. Although we have support for some drive by wire systems, this one is not currently available. Furuno will be working on adding the support for it in the future.

Okay thanks, I'll check back closer to the time when I get my boat. The AutoPilot can always go in after I pick it up.

Cheers,

Curtis

This has been a very frustrating process...I've had two different techs tell me two different answers as to whether the dual motor Evinrude 225HP G2's require the physical rudder feedback unit or if they'll work off of the Fantom Feedback system. You'd think that the G2's have been out long enough for this to have an unequivocal answer to. My boat arrives in 6 weeks and I need to have this sorted out. So frustrating...

A lot will depend on your steering system used not just the engines. If you can provide that information then we should be able to assist you more. Normally outboards use the virtual feedback for all types now. There are some fishing patterns you lose by not having an RRU but overall you would not need an RRU.

Well mine is fully installed and I'm going on a 5 day fishing trip to test everything out...lets hope that the system has integrated properly with my Simrad's and is user friendly. I'll let ya know!

Same situation. I read on another forum that the etec g2 hydraulic cylinder is 8.2 CI. To the best of my knowledge the REAL issue with A/P compatibility is the sizing of the A/P pump to best match the steering system cylinder size. The rest is bells & whistles.

Back