Another quick question re cameras

drewc228

Following comments on this board I have purchased an ANALOG video camera to use along with my TZtouch2 to monitor my engine room. The specific camera is Amcrest 960H 800+ TVL Bullet Weatherproof IP66 Camera. After running the cable and connecting power and camera out to the TZ video input, I see only a blue screen. I realize that digital (IP) and HD (720P, 1080P) cameras are not currently supported (except the AXIS), but my assumption was that all analog cameras should work. Is there a specification that states what analog resolution(s) the TZ will support, assuming that somehow this camera is not compatible in some way?

You said you connected the camera power to the TZT. Can you expand on that a bit?
I haven't seen any composite video that hasn't worked. It can be in PAL or NTSC format. Have you tried plugging the composite video into a normal monitor to verify that video is there?

Hi. Sorry for any confusion...I connected 12V power to the camera, and connected the video out from the camera to the TZ's video input 1. Not sure if this is relevant, but the camera has much higher resolution (960x480) than most other analog video which are typically 640X480 and has a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio (rather than 4:3).

I will try with separate monitor next time I am on the boat and will report the results.

I am looking at putting an inexpensive camera in the engine room also. Please let us know how you like the setup .

Update on the Amcrest 960H 800+ TVL Bullet Weatherproof Camera. After a bit of trial and error, the camera seems to be working well. Issue was probably less than perfectly tight connection to the TZ video input (a faulty BNC to RCA adapter). In any case it's working well now, and has excellent low-light capability via an array of 24 IR LEDs - which means it works without having to turn on engine room lights!

Back