FCV295 issues

joe1958

Hi everyone, just newbie joint here, long & short story, Just bought prawn trawnler with some electronics equipments on boat, GPS, Radar and FCV-295 all Furuno brand, took the boat and works on ocean couples night, suddently the FCV-295 didn't show up deepth number and the screen turn white, whatever adjust nothing happens. Ask the previous owner, he said, the unit happened year ago, firstable he purchased new Tranducer installed, but still nothing happen then he sent to one of marine workshop, in there technican changed 1 circuit board, after changed it worked few nights as usual, then i bought trawler drove her back to my region, it took 24 hours travelled on ocean, now it happened again....didn't what's problem....i did factory reset few times, but seam nothing effected, any one knows what's wrong, and which circuit board could be replace and where i can purchase the parts for unit, i'm in NSW Australia, any help thanks in advance.
mcokGcw.jpg

Joe1958,
Is (or has) the FCV-295 ever been connected to a computer? A blown NMEA chip will short the +5V to ground and kill the 295's receiver. One way to confirm this is too select a range of 1000ft and set the gain manually at 10. If you don't see any background speckle I would strongly suspect a blown NMEA IC. If you are connecting the FCV-295 to a computer you should use an Opto-isolator to protect the sounders NMEA IC. Unfortunately at this point you will need to send the sounder into our service center.

Snips

Snip, thanks for quick respond, the unit stand alone, does not connected to any other electronics equipments on boat and either computer, I did as you recommend, the display appeared a lot speckle from 200ft to 1000ft, the transducer I connected to old JRC vcr it works fine. any ideal, cheers
Joe

Joe1958,
That's good to know that the receiver is still alive. The other test is at the dock with the TVG Level and Distance down and the gain at 10. If you see a very weak bottom then I would suspect the sounders power supply has an issue. Either way you will need to send it to a dealer or into our service center.

Snips

Joe,1958,
The default TVG's are 4 and 600ft. So at the dock set the TVG's as low as you can with the range at 30ft.

Snips

Hello Snips,
Hope you and all staff have a great holiday season times, as a mention 1rst post, when bought the trawler with unit installed, and previous owner told me the unit was replace 1 circuit board inside, for some reason I just done couple night in ocean and unit happened same trouble in the past did not show the depth number where worked on ocean, send unit to workshop in my area, but seam they were too busy and just small job for them " I reckon", within a month they haven't got time to look at or touch unit, so I grab unit back home then opened up checking all circuit board, it noted a circuit had liquid in 1 area looks like coffee or similar, it's sticky and thick on top and some screws didn't screw down properly, I used circuit board cleaner then put it back and tried, but nothing happen, I think circuit been damaged, so question: I can order circuit board or not? Here is the circuit board took out from unit.
INbwsbc.jpg

Merry Christmas and happy New year.
Best regards
Joe

You should be able to order whatever you wish from your authorized Furuno dealer. Furuno doesn't sell direct to customers, so any pricing availability should be done with your dealer. The FCV295 is current product so getting parts shouldn't be any problem.

Back