Lollipop Interface

Jlr

I have a new to me boat. The Navnet for my Furuno 1943C radar will not show waypoint information or the lollipop on the display. It is either a vx1 or vx2. The GPS is a Garmin 5212 and it is being fed to a Simrad AP 22 pilot. The Navnet does have a dedicated heading sensor. I want the waypoint info including the lollipop to show up on the Navnet, even though chosen from the Garmin and sent to the AP22. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning JLR,

Thank you for your inquiry. Couple of questions, do you know what NMEA0183 data sentences the Garmin 5212 is outputting to the Furuno 1943? The Furuno will likely require "RMB", "WPL" in order for the Waypoint Lollipop to display correctly. The Waypoint Lollipop will only be displayed on the Radar Display, and the feature must be turned on once the correct data is confirmed on the 1943. To turn on the Waypoint Lollipop refer to the photo below.

Waypoint Lolipop.JPG

Please confirm what data sentences the Garmin 5212 is outputting. From there we can check the receive ports to verify the data is being sent.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Will do. I also think I need to find out if the Navnet is looking for an external waypoint.

Set it up for an external waypoint. Still no luck. I did verify that Port 2 is the port that is being used to receive data bat alas, it must be a VX1 because I do not think I have a port monitor. Or, can you help me find the port monitor if it is a VX2. Garmin is outputting at least rmbc and wpl sentences or something like that and many more. Thanks

I have. But, I just found out that the prior owner may have been using my Northstar 952W to speak with the Navnet VX1 rather than the Garmin. I will need to trace that out. If so, can you give me the par number of the cable that would run from the Garmnin 5212 to the Navnet Vx1 in case I want to switch it to work that way. Either way, am I correct that the information to the Navnet is not (or cannot ) come from my Simrad AP20 autopilot but rather from one of the two of my GPS units? Thanks for the help.

Good morning JLR,

Thank you for your follow up. If you want to use (2) different sources to create the waypoint lollipop on the NavNet then it might be best to use an A/B switch box. The switch box would allow you to move the toggle to position (A) which could be the Northstar unit, or position (B) the Garmin unit. You will need to contact Garmin to figure out what data cable you will need to interface to the switchbox. Then it would be just a matter of removing the Northstar to NavNet connection, take the Northstar cable to the switch box, take the Garmin cable to the switchbox, and take the Furuno cable to the switch box.

You might be able to get the information out of the Simrad pilot if it can output the RMB sentence?

Kind Regards,

Sorry. Still confused. I want to wire the Vx1 to receive either directly from the Garmin 5212 which is driving my AP20 pilot or to the J300x junction box output from the pilot. I guess my first question is basic. When I am feeding the output for the waypoint heading, distance , lollipop etc.from the Garmin or the J300x, am I still feeding this NMEA 0183 info into port 2 on the Vx1? If not, which port? Second, since I already have a cable connected to ports 1,2 and 3 on the Vx1, which do I need to connect to the output NMEA 183 wires from either the Garmin or the J300x and what are the colors from that wire already connected to the Vx1 port that I need to use the receive the waypoint, heading lollipop info. Thanks so much.

I guess my first question is basic. When I am feeding the output for the waypoint heading, distance , lollipop etc.from the Garmin or the J300x, am I still feeding this NMEA 0183 info into port 2 on the Vx1? If not, which port?Yes, this will need to be connected to data port 2.

Second, since I already have a cable connected to ports 1,2 and 3 on the Vx1, which do I need to connect to the output NMEA 183 wires from either the Garmin or the J300x and what are the colors from that wire already connected to the Vx1 port that I need to use the receive the waypoint, heading lollipop info.Now I am a bit confused. In a previous post you said the Garmin is already connected to the Vx1 and that is on port 2? We don't know the Garmin wire colors for Transmit or Receive. On Port 2 with the Vx1 it should be a 6-pin cable. White and Black or TxA and TxB, Yellow and Green are RxA and RxB.

I am still a bit confused on what you are trying to accomplish. I understand interfacing the Garmin and the Vx1 so you can show the waypoint lollipop on the Vx1 radar display. But i am not sure why you want the J300X, which is a simrad j-box, to talk to the NavNet Vx1? My only guess would be for heading data from the simrad autopilot? But you mentioned below that the Vx1 has something wired into port 3 which is a dedicated port for heading? do you know what this cable is connected to?

It might be best to draw out a quick diagram and post it to this topic. Then we can get a better idea of the data distribution you are trying to create?

I apologize that I can't quite figure out what we need to do to get you going.

C-Bass

Sorry for all the confusion. Spent hours today working on it to no avail. I simply want the lollipop on the Vx1. Since the Garmin is directing the Simrad, I thought it best to take the output from the Simrad box and send it to port two on the Navnet. Problem is, I need to be a very small person to trace the wires going in to each port on the Navnet. I just can't do that. As I said before, I don't care whether I get the lollipop from the Garmin or the Simrad box, it's the same information. If it helps, when I try in the Navnet setup to change the Nav source to all from just Furuno, I get an error. Sure which there was an easy answer to this.

Thank you for the additional information.

So currently the NavNet 1 is getting data on port 2 from the Simrad j300x. Do you know if there is a way to confirm whether or not the Simrad is passing the correct information. I took a moment to download the Simrad AP20 manual. I did a quick search for NMEA output. The only reference to NMEA output from the J300X is heading data. There is no indiation that the J300x is passing the correct data sentences to the NavNet. Based on what I read I don't think the Simrad AP20 computer (j300x) can output the NMEA sentences needed to the NavNet 1 for the waypoint lollipop. You may want to confirm with Simrad. So if that is the case I don't think you will be able to use the Simrad AP20 to supply the NavNet 1. It will likely have to come from the Garmin.

Thanks again for the help. If that is the case, and I am not certain it is, I will then have to go directly to the Garmin. I have gone directly from these pilots to all my prior Furuno radars without a problem. My local electronics guy has told me to focus on port 3 on the Navnet not port 2. Something about AD10 data. But, forgetting that, if there is any way for you to let me know what wires from port two (green and yellow)? I should be connecting to the Garmin 5212 (what wire colors there), I could then finally make progress. Thanks for hanging in with me on this.

Good morning JLR,

Thank you for the followup. I know this has been aggravating for you but we will stick by your side until completion. Your dealer is correct, Port 3 on the Navnet is for heading data, when your dealer mentions AD10 data, that is a different form of heading data that is not NMEA0183, but is heading information.

Just so you can confirm I would check with Simrad to verify if what NMEA0183 data can output from the AP20 pilot. Again, I just did a quick reference check in the AP20 manual. But I am not an expert with their equipment. It would be good to check, so we can move forward.

If you want to try the interface with Garmin please see the photo below. Based on the information I found the Garmin has (2) NMEA0183 ports that can be used for input/output. Depending on what port is still available you could try:

Port 1 Garmin to Port 2 Furuno: Garmin Gray(Tx+) to Furuno Yellow(Rx+), and Garmin Pink (Tx-) to Furuno Green (Rx-).

If you want to try Port 2 Garmin to Port 2 Furuno: Garmin Blue(Tx+) to Furuno Yellow(Rx+), and Garmin Blue/White(Tx-) to Furuno Green(Rx-).

Garmin Interface.JPG

It appears you will also need to configure the Garmin NMEA0183 output sentence. Please see photo below.

Garmin 2.JPG

Exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a shot this weekend assuming I can find the end of the cable now plugged into Port 2. I will report back when I have tried this. Thank you again.

Success and more help needed. I rewired port two on the Navnet to the correct output port on the J300x and all is well. It had been wired to an output that also had other wires connected to the same output. Perhaps splitting the output was what messed it up. However, I need more help. When trying to tune the gain in any of the three auto modes, there is way too much gain. I can tune it just fine in the manual mode. I tried to boot up the Navnet by holding down the menu key on power up to make sure the unit had selected the correct antenna. I never did get into the installation menu. I also tried to set my ranges up but they stopped at 48nm. Not really a big deal but I thought the 1943C, which is what I am told I have, goes to 64. That makes me think that perhaps the wrong radar is selected in the installation menu. Not sure. In any event, is there some secret to being able to use the auto gain options. None of the three is usable now with way too much gain. Thanks.

Good to hear JLR, job well done!

Yes the 1943 radar should give you a range scale of 64nm. So if you are only able to get 48nm then I would verify that the unit is set to the correct radar antenna.

You mentioned the keystrokes you used to get into the radar installation mode. The procedure that you performed sounds correct. It has been my experience when performing the keystroke operation that you hold the once the power button is pushed try and hold the menu button down until the bootup procedure is finished. Then hit the menu button again and choose "system config," then "Installation Setup," then "Radar Installation." Then choose the Antenna Type: G.

Then you can exit out of the menu and transmit the radar. After the radar is transmitting go back into the radar installation menu and choose "Tuning." Turn this to on, and hit the enter button. The display should give the following prompt: "Now Tuning." Next choose the "Video Adjustment." Turn to on, then hit the enter button. You should see the following prompt: "Now Adjusting Video."

After that you may need to adjust the timing of the radar.

Try the auto modes again to see if you have an improvement.

It has been my experience with the NavNet 1 and VX2 models that the "Auto Gain" filters do not do the radar performance any justice. When instructing individuals using this radar I always recommend using manual Gain, Sea Clutter, and Rain Clutter. I know that is probably not what you want to hear but you will get much better performance from the radar in manual mode.

C-Bass

Thanks. I will check for the correct antenna. Again, I press and hold menu and continue to hold it after I press the power key. Is that correct? I tried that and it did not seem to work although I must admit I let go of the menu key after about one minute. No problem just using manual but I thought I would ask anyway.

Now that this is squared away, is there a way to alter the shading for various depths in the C-Map chart I just bought for the unit. I am not really happy with the coloring nor am I happy with the size of the depth readings. Is there a way to customize the colors and text sizes? Thanks.

Good evening JLR,

Thank you for your follow up. You can reference the user manual section 5-15 for setting up the depth colors. I will provide a link below to download the operators manual. The text size for the spot soundings as far as I know cannot be enlarged. Please keep in mind the NavNet 1 series was designed in the early 2000's like 2001/2002. The was not a lot of capability back then to customize features.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Back