DRS12AX Radar Antenna

CQuestII

Furuno Fan
I just received a new DRS12AX Radar antenna and I was building a new pedestal for the radar and for some reason the base is not flat. It has arched sides that only touch in the four corners. It seems like this would not be a good idea to allow saltwater to enter and sit beneath the radar base since the radar cable connect is in this open area beneath the base.

My question is there a reason why this was designed like this? Would it be ok to make an arched base so there would be no open space to prevent saltwater intrusion?

Thanks Tom

The base is flat but does have opening for ventilation. No problem with water is expected or has been encountered. Furuno engineers have been designing products for many years and much testing has been done. You can not seal up the opening without cutting off the required ventilation and creating possible condensation issues that will pool water and moisture. The new gearbox is lighter, stiffer, and allows for easier maintenance access without extra required overhead space. Congrats on your purchase.

The base is not flat - it arches up and has about a 3/16"" of open space on the front and two sides. The rear is similar but it has the plastic piece that seems like it will not stand the test of time. I will send a photo when I get home.

Are you saying that these open areas should be left open and not sealed? I was going to seal at least the front and thought the two sides would be a good idea.

Thanks, Tom

Flat meaning it doesn't wobble. It sits flat but has openings at the bottom edge. I don't need a photo, thank you. It's your radar and ultimately you can do what you wish to it, although any modifications might have warrantee impacts during the warrantee period. I can't speculate or provide all the reasoning for the design other than to say we have had great results from it thus far.

Easy - I didn't meant to offend anyone. I was just pointing out that the edges on all four sides do not contact the base only at the corners. All other Furuno antennas I have owned did sit flush in contact with the base. It is a new design and wondered if it was for ventilation? I will install it on a flat base.

No offense taken and I don't intend to ruffle feathers. The design is what it is. The new design offers many new advantages including less sound and weight. We still sell the older style mounting 12kw (DRS12A); which I am sure you considered. I don't think you will regret going with the new style. The new "X" series has to be one of, if not the best X-band radar series Furuno has made to date. Regardless of type, normally if we see most problems arise it is typically from installation steps being missed. When you take it from your installer, I would highly recommend inspecting it. The sealing step of the array, bolts, and grounding point are very important. Not doing this, leads to the premature death of more radar scanners than any one thing I can think of.

Capture10.JPG
Capture11.JPG

Back