MFD8 connecting with Furuno 1835 radar

H

HBS_Marine

Hello,

I have a Furuno MFD8 unit with the GPS directly connected on it.
I have a seperate radar Furuno 1835.
I want to connect both systems trought NMEA so they both recieve de GPS and AIS.

Wo can help me to figure out witch cables I need to setup de NMEA network?

Thanks you for every info.

Kind regards,
Jesse

HBS_Marine,
Thank you for the inquiry.
Will need more information regarding which AIS receiver you are using, but be aware the NN3D MFD8 network does not have the ability to pass/output AIS data. You will need to wire the AIS unit directly to the 1835 radar. You will also have to go into the menu of the 1835 radar and set the AIS display for "on" (section 4.2 of the owners manual explains).

On the MFD8 we can output the position information to the radar. You will need the 18pin multi-cable that was included with each unit shipped (p/n 000-164-608). You will need to purchase a 7pin NMEA cable for the 1835 radar (p/n 000-164-608). On the 18p cable connect the red wire (transmit2 positive) to the yellow wire of the 7pin NMEA cable (receive positive) and connect Red/White wire on the 18pin cable (transmit2 negative) to the green wire on the 7 pin NMEA cable (receive negative). Now go into the installation wizard of the MFD8. under the "own" tab, "setting" tab find the tab marked "NMEA0183 port2". Under the "Output" section of this menu check off "GLL". Ensure that there at no other outputs or inputs selected.

HBS_Marine,
Thank you for your inquiry.
the part number for the 7pin NMEA Cable needed for the 1835 radar is (000-154-028).
you will need this cable and the 18pin 000-164-608 cable from the MFD8 in order to get position data to the radar.

as far as displaying AIS information on both the MFD8 and the 1835 radar coming from a non-Furuno product, like the one you mentioned, per policy we can make no assurances. I read through the document in the link you provided and it appears that this particular AIS has some level of multiplexer capability in the single 0183 port that it has. be aware that you will need a 0183 heading source for the 1835 radar in order to be able to display the AIS information. to input the heading into the radar you will need a 6pin cable part number 000-159-697.

Unless you have a feature (like ARPA) that you want and requires heading; you don't need to add a heading sensor. The radar itself will function without heading.

Sorry I missed that you are feeding AIS into the radar unit. For radars, AIS like ARPA also require heading. AIS requires both Heading and Position on radar units. ARPA requires only heading.

For the chart plotter, AIS only needs position. (no heading required for the plotter)

Back