NN3D and TZT Combined System Communication

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I've been asking questions related to the DFF3D and Navpilot 711C as they relate to a NN3D/TZT combined system. At the core this is all about communication so it seems most appropriate to ask additional questions here. And I very much appreciate this forum and all the valuable information it provides.

I've identified another boater that has a NN3D/TZT system connected per Furuno guidelines, however, he has a DFF1-UHD and DFF3D connected to the HUB101. He is not having any problems with the DFF3D connected to the hub and can run it on the TZT while running the DFF1-UHD on the MFD.

C-Bass provided the following regarding NN3D/TZT that is very helpful:

When these two products are connected via Ethernet they have active waypoint synchronization. So if you were to activate a waypoint on the TZT it would feed the information to the MFD8 via Ethernet. Now if the MFD8 was connected to a NMEA2000 backbone and you also had the NavPilot 711C connected to the backbone the MFD8 would communicate the waypoint information to the NavPilot 711C that originated from the TZT.

Can the IF-NMEA2K2 be used to connect the TZT N2K to the MFD8 NMEA0183 data output?

Or is this a stupid question because it's a TZT N2K connection which violates the rule?

So then the question is what other data does the MFD feed to the TZT via the ethernet connection? The literature says a TZT must have heading sensor data so is all the PG700 data communicated to the TZT? What about the Yamaha engine data?

Is is possible to provide a list of what NMEA data is provided to the TZT via the MFD? Yes I understand that the MFD needs to output the PGN's, but are all available?

Can I assume that everything navnet connected to the hub is going to work with the TZT just as it would work on the MFD (except for the DFF3D)?

Can the IF-NMEA2K2 be used to connect the TZT N2K to the MFD8 NMEA0183 data output?

Or is this a stupid question because it's a TZT N2K connection which violates the rule?

If they are on the same network this is not allowed. It would setup a data loop situation and ultimately the connection is not needed. The NN3D talking on the NMEA 2000 bus provides the typical information over the connected Furuno Network cable to the TZT. If you built an entirely different NMEA 2000 bus then it might be possible depending on the specific data and the purpose for doing this. You would be pushing the limits on the unknown because it really isn't supposed to have anything on that NMEA 2000 port of the TZT if on a mixed NN3D/TZT network.

what other data does the MFD feed to the TZT via the ethernet connection? The literature says a TZT must have heading sensor data so is all the PG700 data communicated to the TZT? What about the Yamaha engine data?

Just about everything that the NN3D uses and supports would go over the network. (including your PG700 heading data) Only the engine items that the NN3D supports would be expected to also function on the TZT. If you get more; then that is bonus. When running a mixed network, the most restrictive rule(s) of both systems apply. Ultimately it is not a TZT system; it is a NN3D/TZT mixed system with NN3D rules mostly in effect.

Can I assume that everything navnet connected to the hub is going to work with the TZT just as it would work on the MFD (except for the DFF3D)?

NO. Again the most restrictive rule applies. For example the older analog network sounder (BBFF1 or BBFF3) is compatible with the NN3D but not the TZT. So although it is a network item (like the DFF3D is) it must be compatible with BOTH systems to be connected to the network. This is just another example. If not sure, it is always better to ask than "assume". I commend you on your research and need for understanding of your system. Knowledge of your electronics can be very help especially out to sea where only you can provide the answers.

Thank you so much Johnny E, and also C-Bass and Flatline for taking the time to reply to so many questions, many of which are pretty misguided from your perspectives. I do want to get it right and all this information is needed to do that.

I'm hopeful that having the DFF3D on the system will not cause problems and I'm willing to try it and see and report back. There is only one other person doing this I'm aware of and it works for them, so hopefully the way a NN3DBB and an MFD8 communicate with the network is the same.

There is really nothing from a communications perspective that I'm not happy with in using the MFD8. So I may not even notice what I'm missing out on by following the more restrictive MFD8 rules with the TZT. If I can get the DFF1 full screen on the MFD8 and the DFF3D full screen on the TZT, without causing any weird glitchy problems, I'll be very happy. My fellow renegade systems integrator is able to run his DFF1-UHD full screen on his NN3DBB system and run the DFF3D full screen on his TZT12. So my fingers are crossed.

Back