NavNet VX2 just stopped giving satellite readings. Help....

W

Windham14

So I am new to Furuno equipment and have just purchased the following pieces and had them installed by my electronics guy.... RDP149 VX2 GPS screen, 1942 open array, PG500 heading sensor.
This stuff was installed a couple weeks ago and everything has been working well except for the fact that my electronics guy and I have not had a chance to get together and set up the heading sensor for overlay and to tune the radar.

Today we finally find time to do this, fire everything up at the dock, all is well.
Head out with the owners manuals in hand, do circles and bam, we have a lock on the heading sensor and it's happy.
Next we try overlay, all looks good but it's a little off so we make sure both units are in the same setting (true) and then just pull up the radar screen to align the radar. Align the radar with no issues.

Here is where the issue started. We go back to do overlay and have no GPS info on the screen, nothing. We turn the radar off and try to just run in regular navigation mode, nothing.
We read through the manual, double check everything, make sure the GPS antenna connection is good, etc. NOTHING!

The radar works awesome on its own but somehow we lost GPS signal and coordinates and have no idea why. There are a thousand different menu options that I'm sure we could have messed up. The PG500 stayed lit and happy the entire time. We turned the unit on and off several times with no change. Very frustrating after waiting several weeks to do this. Tried to search and google and all I've found is that the GPS antenna possibly went bad. I hope not as it was working 3 minutes before this happened.

Windham14,
Thank you for your inquiry.
".... the GPS antenna connection " I'll have to assume that we are using the Furuno GP-320B GPS antenna, aka BBWGPS, as this wasn't specified in your question.

If so lets go in and ensure we've told the RDP-149 which is the correct source for position;
menu---system configuration---nav options---nav source settings---position source. Ensure that the position source is set to "Furuno BB GPS". if not, edit this and change the selection.

Secondly, lets go in and check the signal strength/status/position of the GPS satellites that the GP-320B is receiving. menu---system configuration---nav options---GPS sensor---GPS status. You should see the orbit location of the satellites, the number of satellites that the antenna is seeing, as well as a bar graph with the strength of signal. If the signal strength is below "40" for most all of the satellites you may need to relocate the antenna to a better/more suitable location.

I’ll do this in the morning and report back. Thank you!

The antenna is on the correct B.B. GPS and I’m getting strong signals on the satellites. Still no info on the Navigation screen

Back