DRS4W question

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm planning on installing the DRS4W wireless radar dome to use with my iPad and the Nobeltec TimeZero app. I also plan on installing a Vespermarine XB-8000 AIS/wireless multiplexer, which will transmit AIS data as well as NMEA data from my instruments over wifi, so I can view it on my iPad in the TimeZero app.

The Nobeltec website says that it would be possible to use these two devices to do what I want to do, but only if I configure the XB-8000 to connect to the DRS4W's wifi network, and then also connect to that network with my iPad. The instructions also make it clear that the DRS4W cannot join an existing wireless network, and can only be used by connecting to its network directly.

I don't want to do it this way, because it would require that I leave the DRS4W turned on in order to keep a connection with the XB-8000 and my AIS/instrument data (unless I want to re-configure it to connect to my iPad whenever I want to leave the DRS4W off).

I thought of an alternative setup that should work and do what I want, but I would like to confirm it with someone at Furuno before I go forward. There's a device called "The WirieAP+" that I was already planning on getting (http://thewirie.com). It's basically two antennas; one is a long range wireless antenna for connecting to distant wifi networks on the shore, and a smaller antenna that creates a wireless access point on the boat, which allows multiple devices to use the connection to the WiFi network on the shore.

Here's what I'm wondering: if I have the XB-8000 and the iPad connected to the Wirie's local network, and I tell the Wirie to connect to the DRS4W's network (as if it was a wireless network at a marina or something), would I be able to use the radar as if the iPad was connected to it directly? It seems like it should work, but I want to make sure there's not something that I'm missing about how the DRS4W works before I buy one.

Thanks!

Radio Zephyr,
Thank you for your inquiry.

In regards to the DRS4W Furuno USA, Inc and Furuno Electric Company can/will only officially support a direct connection between the iOS device and the DRS4W.

Any other method of connection is done at the customers risk, and will not be covered by our warranty nor evaluated and assisted by our technical support persons.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand it's not technically supported, but I still want to know if it will work. Is there some sort of technical limitation that would prevent me from connecting to it by joining its network via a router? Or is the main limitation of the device that its network must be joined, and that it cannot connect to an existing network? That appears to be the case, but I want to make sure.

Mr. ZEPHYR
did this setup work for you?
I m thinking of the exact setup.

Also is there a sea view mast mount model for the Drs4w?
Thx

Back