DFF-3D

Snips, when you responded to my message regarding the distance between transducers you reference the water movement between the transducers. Do you think it would be effected at slower speeds when trolling, say 5mph?. I think i am going to be able to create at least 5 to 6" " between the two transducers on the transom as i am welding another bracket. I have the dff3d mounted now just about to add the 258.

MikeR13,
The water is going to be pinched (compressed) at any speed. That being said is it hard to say at what speed it is going to start affecting the DFF-3D performance.

Snips

I had my install of my DFF3d completed and also mounted 525TID-TMD at a good distance from the 3d. One thing i noticed when i ran both at the same time was that when I ran the side scan in deeper water I started to get interference lines showing up on the starboard side of the side scan which is also the side at which the 525 is mounted. It is not a ton of interference and isn't a huge deal since I'm happy with the 3d.

1. Could it be just a set up issue with the 525 on the new tzt2?
2. Should the 3d transducer be mounted a tad lower than the 525?
3 Interference caused by the distance between transducers, which is 5"?

Any insight would be helpful to try and if it cant be eliminated i can just turn the transmission off completely of the 525.

Mike R13,
First see what happens running only one sounder at a time.
Next what happens when the vessel is moving at different speeds.
Posting screen shots so I can see would really help.

Snips

Here is screen shot. I tried it again today and there wasn't any interference. I didn't take into consideration there may have been another boat in close proximity that may have caused it. Here is a few screenshots

Attachments

• IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    762.1 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    935 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    874.8 KB · Views: 1,395
MikeR13,
Thanks for the screen shots. The bottom looks nice and solid so you have clean water going over the face of the transducer. Do you remember how fast you were going when you took those?

Snips

that was trolling speed of 5.5mph...Thats typical speed during this time of year and slow down when the water cools. I am fishing the great lakes.

Miker13,
Thank you for the added speed information.
Did you happen to take a picture of how you ended up mounting the transducers that you would be willing to share with us?

Snips

Yes i will post when i get a chance. Basically I removed the two competitors ones pictured in my photo and place the dff3 where my old chirp was. I added the 525 5" away from the 3d. Prob going to look to sell my chirp unit

I went back to trying to run my DFF3 and my 258 at the same time again and I'm getting interference lines when running at the same time on both screens. Is that a function of the interference suppression being turned off? The interference lines begin to show up on my side scan on the starboard side which is where the 258 is mounted.

MikeR13,
I know we can sync the TX rates of two external sounding modules but I don't think the TZT2 internal sounder has a KP input, however I will Japan. For now use the IR control.

Snips

So just suppress the interference with control? My 258 is running on the internal sounder on the Tzt2.

MikeR13,
You will need to use the IR control on the sounder that is being affected.

Snips

Attachments

• IR.JPG
    IR.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,540
Thanks! I will try that out. I am getting interference on both sounders. But ill try one first and the second next, etc to get it suppressed.

MikeR13,
If you use the IR control start with the lowest setting at first to see how that works. I think you will find that the shallower the water the higher the setting and in deeper water will need less.

Snips

Thanks! What is the Bottom Shift Area function in the Dff3d I cant really find a description for it. Is it suppose to be used in conjunction with auto depth range or manual?

MikeR13,
The Bottom Shift function comes into play when you use Auto Range. I think the default setting is 67% which means when the bottom return reaches 67% of the depth range the range shifts to the next deeper range. Or if you are getting shallower it will shift to the next shallower range.

Snips

Thanks! Just trying to figure out optimum setting when im fishing between 50 and 100 with lots of depth changes with the area I’m fishing.

If I was fishing in shallower water say the 50-100 ft range would I be better off shortening my pulse length?

MikeR13,
You can try it see which way gives you better targets. You will probably need to increase the gain slightly when you shorten the PL.

Snips

Back