RDP139 RSB0071 radar cabling

A

Anonymous

Hi

I recently bought a used RD139 unit complete with RSB0071 dome Model 1833C. I asked the dealer to test it before I purchased it so it would be a working solution
When I collected it, he showed me a photo of the RDP139 displaying it as working. I took his word for it
I noticed the radar cable had been cut and spliced about 1 foot from the RDP139 unit. He said it was done for removing it from the boat during the upgrade
Anyway I had to undo the splice to feed the radar cable thru the deck. But when I went to reconnect the splice I noticed I had more wires (19) on the RDP 139 side then on the Dome side (15). When I checked the 2 sides of the cable , it turned out the RDP side is the correct cable as MJ_B24LPF0002-100 for VX1 Navnet but the dome cable side is RW9079 for VX2 Navnet as dome RSB110-070-A Model 1724C

So now I am facing different color coding wiring and functions. I asked the dealer how did they manage to connect it and have it working. His answer was less than satisfactory and basically since I undid the original splicing myself, it was my problem.... Also he only gave me a power cable and a 6 pin NMEA data cable. I asked about the 7 pin female plug for GPS 320B cable and he said not included... How did he test the chartplotter/radar?

So my question is do I have to purchase a new Cable MJ-B24LPF0002-100 or try to splice it the way they had it? and where can I get my hands on a plug MJ-A7SPF ?

Currently in Langkawi Malaysia where zero support or parts can be found.... :thumbdown

Cheers
William

Good morning Crimson Tide,

Thank you for your inquiry. When looking at the 1833 radar interconnect you will notice that the RSB0071 uses 3 groups of wires terminated into connectors. Those 3 connectors are a 9 pin connector, a 4 pin connector, and a 13 pin connector. Please see photo below.
1834 radar interconnect.JPG

When looking at the interconnect for a 1724 dome or RSB110-070-A you will see it contains 2 groups of wires terminated into 2 connectors. Those 2 connectors are a 10 pin connector and a 9 pin connector. See photo below.
1724 Radar Interconnect.JPG

So I have some follow up questions, how many groups of wires and connectors do you have on the radar side? Is it 2 groups with 2 connectors or 3 groups of 3 connectors?

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Thank u for the reply C Bass
I will take the dome down and have a look at the wiring and connectors, take a photo and post it today if that rain stops for a while...Awful weather down here lately
Cheers
William

Here are the photos. I found out the following from Radar connector to cable:

J801 9 pins as follow:
1 empty spot
white/orange and white/brown to white/black
white/red to white/red
white/green and white/black to white/green
brown to brown
purple to purple
blue to blue

J802 4 pins as:
white to white
white/green to grey
black to black
pink to pink

13 pins as:
yellow to yellow
red to red
orange to orange
green to green
2c2v to 2ctv

I connected the display end plug cable via a bus bar following the above information and tested the unit. It worked with the radar doing the search etc

I am confused that the Motor+ as White/blue from the dome would be joined to the grey smaller wire to again join the white/blue on the display end wiring? also means no grey ground wire on 13 pins connector

Hope it makes sense :lol:

Rgds
William

Attachments

• IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 5,117
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 5,117
Also where can I buy the 7 pin plug connector for the gps 320B cable and the wiring pin sequence? previous guy just cut the plug off and lost it :questions
Rgds
William

Also trying to source waterproofing boots to protect the unused data ports at the back of the display?
Rgds
William

Good afternoon William,

You could power the GP320B from a 12 volt source and use the 6-pin cable to interconnect to the GPS.

Please see link below that will allow you to download the installation manual which contains an interconnect diagram. Basically you want the White and Blue (TxA and TxB to connect to the data port (2) RxA and RxB. TxA and RxA should be together and TxB and RxB should be together. There are a couple of different 6pin cables so and I don't know what one you have. So you might have to use a ohm meter to verify the wire colors and pinouts on the 6-pin cable.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...n_manuals/1833_1933_1943_operators_manual.pdf

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...anuals/operation_manuals/navnet_guide_v03.pdf

There is no water proofing boots for the RDP139 that I am aware of?

Kind Regards,

C-Bass

Hi C Bass
Tq for the links and help, great support I must say from Furuno even for older equipment :cool
Another question, I have the PG-1000 sensor to install as well so the Overlay function can work. Since I am a steel hull, I think it would be unwise according to the installation manual to have it inside the hull. Mounting it outside in a waterproof box would be the only solution correct?
On another subject the data cables that came with the installation have 1951015 & 0 written on them. The color coding are Brown, white, black, blue and the shield and the furuno code is MJ-A6SPP0014-050, do u have the 6 pins connection diagram so I could splice them with the standard nmea 0183 colors?
Rgds
William

Good morning Crimson Tide,

I will need further information. I have not been able to locate that cable so i can't identify the pin outs.

First off, what do you plan to use this cable for?

Will it be used for heading or GPS. Does the cable have a connector on both ends or is one end open with bare wires?

What Port on the RDP do you plan to hook the cable up to?

You will likely have to pin the cable out yourself using a multi-meter and a paper clip if the leads are not small enough. Because you already gave the colors of the why I am assuming the cable only has 1 connector but I wanted to make sure. If the cable only has 1 connector please ohm out the cable and find out what color is going to what pin location. The connector has very small writing but it should indicate the pin placement 1-6. From there we will be able to decide how to proceed.

Regarding the PG1000, you could place it outside in a water proof box but I don't know if you will gain anything if the water proof box is sitting and secured to steel? You could always do a couple of things. Try using the mounting location test, See photo below, if it passes the test i would maybe do a temporary mount and use the boat to see how the heading performs. If you do find a location to temporarily mount it you will need to calibrate the compass as well. Once calibrated run the vessel at the major compass rose points and see how the heading changes and also compare it to COG.

PG1000 Mounting Location Check.JPG

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Hello C Bass

Thanks for the last info, very helpful. Managed to install the PG sensor inside the boat next to the companion way and it worked perfectly with the overlay function available on the 139 display
Stiil trying to find that elusive 7 pins plug with/without cable for the GPS320. Had located a supplier in the US but after paying for it all, was informed a few days later no more stock lol, so back to the drawing board

Cheers
William

Good afternoon William,

Glad things are starting to work out. The part number for a 7-pin to bare end 5m cable is 000-154-028. You should be able to search the internet for one.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Hi C Bass

Decided to use the data port 2 for Nmea 0183 input from the GP320 Gps. Followed the color coding and splicing correctly with your kind info

I had to reconfigure the settings on the 139 display and entered OFF for the Gps port Data 1.
I entered Data port 2 as GP320. All functions worked well on the 139 afterward and switched it off

But the next time I switched the 139 on and every time after, it will show no Gps info. I have to edit the Nmea data port 2, which is showing on, enter off then on again, then it works...

Any reason why?

Rgds
William

Good afternoon Crimson Tide,

Thank you for the follow up. So Data Port 1 is set to "Off" for "Furuno GPS Sensor." On data port 2 you said you can turn the "Furuno GPS Sensor" "On or Off?" When you cycle this setting the unit gets a Lat/Lon? On our test units for we have not been able to turn "Furuno GPS Sensor" "On/Off."

When you hit the Menu Button, choose System Configuration, then choose Nav Options. What is the current setting for "Nav Source?" Is it set to: Furuno BBWGPS, GP, LC, or All?

Try changing the Nav Source: to "Gp" then cycle power to see if it works. If it does not try changing the source to "all."

If none of those work: try Furuno BBWGPS.

It is difficult to say because as i mentioned above we cannot replicate turning on/off Data Port 2 "Furuno GPS Sensor."

Let us know how your test goes.

standing by

C-Bass

Back