1621 10 pin twist-lock connector

A

Anonymous

I never dreamed I could ever have radar due to the frightening cost. But today I paid $100 for a Furuno 1621 display and dome - the report is that the display "just quit". The specifications show the power requirements to be modest - not a problem as I'll have 300 watts of solar, and 300-400 ah of battery.

I am a retired communications electronics tech and want to give it a go at fixing it - the symptoms sound like an internal power supply problem.

The idea of RADAR on my boat is very appealing - problem is I can't troubleshoot it because the cable I have lacks the uncommon 10-pin twist lock connector that plugs into the display unit.

Is it a Switchcraft EN3C10F26X ?

If anyone has a 1621, 1621MK2, or 1622 connector or cable, or for that matter, ANY parts, I would be grateful for a chance to buy them! I may also need the drive belt.

Thanks, Chris

Good morning Trebleplink,

Thank you for your inquiry. I wanted to ask a couple of followup questions; so this unit that you purchased has a power cable, radar dome, signal cable? The only things you are missing is the ring fastener on the signal cable and also the motor drive belt?

If you have the power cable have you tried to power the unit on without the antenna cable connected? What was the outcome?

Thanks for the quick reply! Initially, nothing. The positive power lead had a corroded crimped spade lug that I cut off, so now it:

1. Displays "Furuno" near the top of the LCD in weak contrast;

2. When "menu" is pressed, shows two horizontal line near the bottom, in normal contrast;

3. Draws 260 ma at 14 volts.

Judging by the corrosion on the faulty spade connector, it makes me wonder about non-soldered internal connections - I should open it and re-seat all that can be ...

Then again, I have no Idea what normal behavior is without the antenna assembly connected.

I forgot to answer your other questions. I have not yet opened the radome, but I gather it uses a stepper motor to rotate the antenna array through a belt. And it uses a reed switch to indicate home.

In my experience electro-mechanical parts often are the most troublesome (although steppers seem pretty reliable) so replacing an inexpensive belt would be a good idea on an older unit.

The 10 - pin (Souriau ?) plug was cut off of the cable interconnecting the antenna assembly with the display.

Chris

Back