nmea 0183 for lat/long to DSC VHF

GUNNIN

Hi guys, my SH QUEST VHF needs lat long data (NMEA0183) inputed for DSC to work properly.

So I have to get it from my NN3D MFD12 data 2 18pin socket ( I don't have a cable), or can I splice into the cable coming from the GPS antenna?

Only need one way comms, that's all my SH QUEST can do.

If you have the Furuno GP320B (BBWGPS) antenna, you can NOT splice into the cable. The two Furuno products handshake and the GPS switches to special mode and no longer talks normal NMEA for your radio. It sounds like you need to hunt down that cable. Every unit sold comes with one. If you can't find it, you dealer should be able to order you one.

Yes, you can use those wires. Red (+) and Red/White (-) Data port 2 NMEA output. You will also need to run the setup wizard and turn on the required sentences for the radio.

Thanks Johnny, I ran the wizard and ticked all the boxes that my SH required, GLL, GGA, RMC, & GNS. However GNS was greyed out, could not tick it. also changed over to V2.0. Anyway it works without GNS, whatever that is.

Only problem I had was polarity of pins 1 & 2, in the Manual there is a picture of the 18 pin socket (or plug), doesn't say if image is plug or socket. so I guessed it was the socket, wrong, must be the plug as I had pins 1 & 2 arse about. all good now except my local marine base station says they are not receiving my DSC calls. It appears to be working my end, SH displaying lat/long and DSC call saying " NO RESPONSE". another bug to fix.

Back