Dual MFD8 installation

C

CaptainRoberts

New boat, new project! It's a bit of an electronics mess I would like to get sorted out and networked properly.

There are two 2013 MFD8's and a Lowrance 9200c w/ 4kw Radar in the overhead box.
https://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance- ... 100906.pdf

Left MFD8 has only an NMEA 0183 gps antenna connected
Right MFD8 has an ethernet connection going to a DFF1 that is connected to an Airmar transducer. (Not sure which one yet)

I have two Airmar Transducers; (I think the B164 is not connected)
Smart IDT-N2000
PN 44-129-3-02
235kHz Jlq
DT812PV-235-N2
Firmware 1.022 Rev 06

Tilted Element B164-12
50/2000kHz Glq
PN 41-451-2-01 Rev 01
B164-12-MM

I would like to network the Furuno MFD's and if possible read Radar info from the Lowrance. (looks like it may be possible via NMEA2000?)

Also can an Airmar transducer be connected directly to an MFD? I would like to have the option of which sounder to display.

Captain Roberts-
Your Lowrance radar will not display on MFD8. NMEA2000 is data only, no video. That is best left as a stand-alone system.
Your 2 MFD8 displays need to be networked using our HUB101 and set-up as one master and one slave. The DFF1 should be connected to the HUB101 and the B164 should be connected to the DFF1. It should be a 10-pin transducer. Once set up the sounder will be available on either MFD8. Your GPS information will also be shared.
The other transducer you list is what we call a smart transducer. Digital depth only and good for “skinny” water. It is N2K so it will need to get connected to an NMEA2000 backbone.
Be sure to use only shielded quality Ethernet cables and check our website under the MFD8 to make sure your software is up-to-date on both units.
All of our manuals are available online.

OK, I'll start there. Is there any issue with using an industrial ethernet hub instead of the Hub 101? I have a 5 port industrial marine hub on hand. I read something about setting the DFF1 to auto start.

Here's what I've found with the transducers;
Currently it's losing signal in water depth beyond 20ft approx, but sonar displays ok in shallow water. Whoever installed the transducer or DFF1, cut the cable and spliced on the connector going from the B164 to the DFF1. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

The N2k transducer is not hooked up. I'll get started adding the drop / backbone. There's a Fusion RA205, and I'm assuming if I add the Lowrance and the transducer to the backbone, they can all display depth from the skinny transducer.

The Navnet 3D system used power synchronization which requires the HUB101.
We have many documents on our website to help you through the set up and programming.
Look for docs on the MFD8/12 and the DFF1.

If the cable splice on the transducer is correct then it is probably the switch settings in the unit.

Roger that, will use the HUB 101 and start troubleshooting by verifying the DFF1 switch settings.

Quick update, was finally able to get to the sonar module.
The DFF1 was set for 600w transducer.

Set the switch for 1100w and it performs well now drifting, trolling and at speed.

Working on installing the Hub, will update.