Powering a PG-500 Heading Sensor

I have a boat that was previously wired for a PG-1000. There are 3 wires where the old heading sensor used to be.

1. single pair for power +- 12V
2. AD10 cable to plotter
3. bare ground

I'm replacing with a PG-500. The PG-500 has a 7-pin connector instead of the old 2-pin that supplies power.

I made up a new 7-pin connector that supplies 12v +- on pins 5&6 and connected the bare ground to the exterior case screw. However, when I turn on the breaker the PG-500 does not power up nor respond to any button presses.

I see that pin-7 in the wiring diagram has a GND connection. This appears to be connected to the external case ground also. Do I need to supply an additional ground connection on pin-7 in order for the unit to power up or do I have a defective unit? Any other reason it wouldn't power up straight away?

Thanks!

No, you should not connect the cable shield wire to ground.
Have you checked the polarity? If your using the proper cable (yes, we have different 7 pin cables) then you should be connected to Red (+) Pin 5 and Black (-) Pin 6 to your power system. If it still isn't powering up, I recommend using a meter at the end of the cable near the unit to see if you have power at the pins.

Back