radar overlay

captain Bob

i have spent hours on this NavNet TZ touch 2 trying to use this display as i did my c-120 ray marine that is to use the radar as a overlay on the navigation chart.this method of piloting make for easy day in fog following a route .set for heads up radar shows targets in front of boat that concern me.i cannot set this up ,cannot even find radar overlay in instructions .i don`t want split screen with radar on one half and GPS navigation on other half .i purchase furuno to view on one display full chart with radar overlay---------help

Sounds like you don't have a heading sensor installed.

Without that, the unit won't offer up the overlay feature.

i install the heading sensor exactly as per instructions with fluxgate compass dead center of hull with no radio interference nearby and NEMEA 2000 is wired correctly. thank you for your help

Please provide a drawing on how you have it all wired up. The PG500 is NMEA 0183 and the TZT2 only has input for NMEA 2000.

checked it today heading sensor is a PG-700 .i have three tee`s connected together with dead end cap on left and power in (+ and - 12volts dc ) on right . first tee is smart heading sensor input,second is display Nav Net TZ touch and third tee input is the second display Nav Net TZ touch both displays are wire to nema 2000 port from there respective tee

So the PG700 is a NMEA 2000 device and it sounds like you have it connected and powered (I hope with 12v+ and battery neg [not -12v]) . What I don't hear from what your saying, is the two required bus terminations. If the one "dead end cap" you mentioned is a proper termination; where is the second one? Again, a drawing of your system would assist us in seeing any possible problems.

" have three tee`s connected together with dead end cap on left and power in (+ and - 12volts dc ) on right . first tee is smart heading sensor input,second is display Nav Net TZ touch and third tee input is the second display Nav Net TZ touch both displays are wire to nema 2000 port from there respective tee"

IF you have 2 MFDs and One Heading Sensor. You need 4 Tee Connectors in total. Not 3.

The "dead end cap" is called a Terminator. One needs to be connected on each side of the backbone.

The power node does not get attached to the side of a Tee or backbone but rather gets connected just like any other device on the network..

i went to boat today and set up can buss as "plugged the boat" suggested with four tees with terminator on left of first tee and top output to PG-700 next tee top output to nav-net tz -2,next tee to second display nav-net tz-2 and fourth tee top output to + 12 volts and battery ground. green light comes on pg-700 second display show sonar a red satellite meaning no GPS and first display with radar ethernet plug directly show radar but 1st display also shows red satellite ,no GPS on either unit. very bad i have head boat with charters and boat is dead in the water after NYPD harbor convince me to drop ray marine in both boats now Furuno does not work.first i need GPS then i will worry about radar overlay.

The TZT2s have built in GPS. I would suggest you start by troubleshooting why there is no GPS signal.

Disconnect the plotters from NMEA2000 network and then go through the manual for the steps to verify satellites are being seen and the plotters are showing your correct position.

I would then add the NMEA network with one plotter at a time to see if you can see the heading sensor. In the setup you will have to select your source (PG700)

Once both plotters are getting heading, I would then connect them to HUB-101 for the radar. You should have 3 connections to the HUB (Each TZT2 gets their own, and the Radar gets connected)

If this is urgent, Tech support is really good about answering the phone.

thank every one whom try to help as it turned out thru Furuno support one off the unit were no good .finally figure it out if you turn power on slave display gps would lock and as soon as you turn power on master display gps/heading would drop out on slave now you have no gps in either unit.i took out radar then NEMIA 2000 with PG-700 and isolated master display to power only no GPS so the NAV-NET tz touch -2 is bad from factory every sensor works on other display including radar overlay. hours and hours of troubleshooting never thinking the brand new display was bad.lets see if they exchange for new unit!!!!!!!

turn out the furuno display was defective and soon as you apply power button it shorted the GPS on both displays so i remove radar and connected to display two with one off ;all ok with overlay and PG-700,NMEA 2000 connected.with no sensors or NMEA connected to display one it does not lock up to GPS.

is it possible to use the GPS output from my radio as the heading sensor?
thanks
h

You need heading data for overlay. GPS units normally give GPS data not heading. If you have a GPS that also provides heading like a sat compass; then yes it should work for overlay. Ultimately you are looking for something that can provide you stable heading. COG (course over ground) is not the same thing as heading.

all is well that ends well everything working as it should . no real explanation or logic here.finally the starboard unit jumped into GPS with 9 satellites locking up after doing all kinds of stupid things like hanging the display out the front curtain on the bridge.just like that the starboard unit lock up.i then put unit on port side it lock up and radar and PG-700 show up in sensors. now i put port display on starboard side and it also lock up no logical answer reverse displays and they work perfect i also set one as master.

Hi all
so i finally have everything installed.
The PG700 has been dialed in
I can get the radar to display on its own (on the TZTL-12) either as full screen or split alongside the Jepessen chart.
I have clicked on overlay. I have clicked on range link. i have played with the transparency slider for the radar to confirm that it is not there but invisible. The radar is transmitting (not standby). I cannot get it to overlay.
Any suggestions out there?
thanks
herman

Because the thread was hijacked, it is a bit confusing. Can you see heading in a data box on the TZT2? It might be best to call in to tech support and discuss while you are at the unit.

I had the same problem with getting the NXT RADAR overlay to work with the TZT2's. Unfortunately I can't remember what settings I changed to make it work but I'll check it this weekend.

Back